Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Ricketts Glen State Park, PA
Posted By: MRRiley, 07-19-2009, 04:21 PM

Just a teaser... Lots to process... More after dinner...

Ganoga Falls... 94'

K20D, DA 16-45mm, 6sec at f22

Absolutely beautiful place... More photos below...

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-20-2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added camera settings
Views: 3,458
07-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike, those are gorgeous shots!

Jim

07-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #32
JMR
Veteran Member

Mike, really like your shots even though I find the background rocks somewhat darkish and lacking in spectral light. Could this be because you are using a polarizer? I seldom use a polarizer any more, although it was a must in the film days.

JMR
07-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Mike,
Really spectacular shots! Sorry I missed the chance to hook up with you. Maybe next time.
07-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

Yeah JMR, I was using a polarizer. I personally prefer the less specular rocks since without the polarizer there tend to be distracting glints and the flat foreground water tends to get "reflecty" Thanks for the feedback though. Maybe I'll try some shots without the CPL next time.

For anyone interested, I will be planning a 2 day shoot/gathering at Ricketts Glen sometime next spring.

Mike

07-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #35
mel
Veteran Member

how's about a mini-shoot one weekend in oct or so when the leaves are peaking?
07-24-2009, 04:29 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I check out what the water levels are like that time of year Mel. Fall isn't generally the best of times for waterfalls but it could be worth a look. Good idea.

We could always plan a day shooting some of the falls along the foothills of Shenandoah NP if it doesnt look like it would be worth a 9 hour round trip drive to RG.

Mike
07-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I check out what the water levels are like that time of year Mel. Fall isn't generally the best of times for waterfalls but it could be worth a look. Good idea.

We could always plan a day shooting some of the falls along the foothills of Shenandoah NP if it doesnt look like it would be worth a 9 hour round trip drive to RG.

Mike
Mike, when you check the water levels there's a gaging station about 10 miles west of the park you can look at. It's a different stream, but similar characteristics to the one in the park itself (google maps is a wonderful tool for finding things).

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 01552500 Muncy Creek near Sonestown, PA

pick "Time Series- daily statistics" from the pull-down menu, check the "discharge" button to retrieve the flows, and "Submit". It'll give you a table with the average flow for each day, for as long as the site has records (68 years in this case). Looking in September, it doesn't look like the flows are much lower in Sep than in July, so you may be alright.

The state may have something closer, this just happens to be our closest station available online.

Jim (I work with the database software that keeps the info for these things)

Last edited by RoxnDox; 07-24-2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: added info to get table
07-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great great great info Jim! Thanks, & I'll be checking that out.

Mike

07-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding shots Mike - love 'em - you used a CPL do you have any ND ? Was the water realy reflective ? Curious on what an ND as opposed to a CPL would have produced.
07-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Outstanding shots Mike - love 'em - you used a CPL do you have any ND ? Was the water realy reflective ? Curious on what an ND as opposed to a CPL would have produced.
Thanks Dave! I was using both a CPL & an NDx4 for most of these. I could have probably done without the CPL on #1 & #3 since the falling water doesnt generate a lot of directional reflections or glare. However on #2 and # 4 the CPL was important to remove the glare on the surface of the pooling water at the bases of the falls.

FYI, I'm picking up an NDx8 this weekend to allow larger apertures with a given shutter speed. I'll be trying this out on a mini vacation drive along the Blue Ridge parkway the first week in August.

Mike