Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hummer
Posted By: MRRiley, 07-20-2009, 08:12 AM

When I was in PA at my mom's farm this past weekend I set up for some hummingbird photos. Mom has 5 feeders out and they are shared by about 10 different hummers. As soon as I'd set up on one feeder they would get camera shy and start using the others. I really really appreciate the extraodinary photos guys like Marc Langille get of these little hot rods.

K20D and BIGMA...

Mike
Views: 2,109
07-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You did a nice job on that one. I like it
07-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mike, I too have tried a few shots of hummers. Not sure if I have to right glass or know how. You do start to appreciate Marc's talent once you try it yourself. Nicely done. Love the boken on this shot. JIM
07-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys... And I already appreciated Marc's work, but now I am even more amazed that he can get such great shots.

Mike

07-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Forum Member

nice shot. seems hard to capture one
07-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice shot Mike! I wish we had some hummers near us to photograph. Had quite a few when we lived in Iowa. We had feeders and hanging flowers on our deck and the hummers would visit with great regularity. They would even come to feed while we were sitting on our deck, not 5 feet away. I guess that if I'd had had a camera then and just sat still they wouldn't have minded a whole lot. Maybe you need a dummy camera that you can set up so they get used to seeing that big black object, then they might not spook so easily.

jimH
07-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pretty dazzling shot - I've never been able to pull this off. Congrats.

Jer

07-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

very nice. i have a feeder but the birdies don't seem to like it too well. i'm inspired to freshen up the juice nad try again.
07-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jim, Jer and Mel...

Jim, Good idea for the dummy camera. Might have to rig something up. Of course a blind would be even better.

Mel, I have a couple of feeders up here at our house here in Sterling and havn't seen hummer one. They love my mom for some reason though. She has em in PA and in MD. Its really not fair! LOL

Mike
07-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, it's just the beginning... a lifelong journey... HPA... Hummingbird Photographing Addiction... Seriously, they are tough little acrobats to photograph - you've done quite well with basically no practice!!

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Thanks guys... And I already appreciated Marc's work, but now I am even more amazed that he can get such great shots.

Mike
Mike and everyone else, thanks for the props, but I am totally old school on photographing them. Minimal movement, right out in the open with them. I could and should use a blind to really nail the shots, but they are not afraid of the dummy behind the camera...

Activity levels: as a reference, in front of my house we easily have 14-16 of them on just two feeders in the evening, when activity is highest. That does not include the other 3 feeders. Normally I refill the five - 32 oz feeders every 2-3 days. We have an exceptionally high level of traffic in my front garden. Of course the garden is designed in mind with attracting the hummers. To keep the activity levels up, all that's needed is a ratio of 1 to 3 on the sugar to water mix. Once they start coming, keeping a bit below half on the ratio ensures more activity on the feeders...

I am sure people are aware of this part, but just in case someone who is not familiar with hummingbirds: it's very, very important to monitor the clarity of the solution in the feeders - if you see any cloudiness, change it. That means the solution is contaminated (often by dead insects); high heat + humidity levels = mold/mould and it's a problem if left unaddressed... this is a potentially serious health risk for the birds (long term) - mold/mould can kill them. Empty the feeder, wash/scrub with soapy water and rinse it carefully, then restock the solution. If the mold/mould is bad, a bucket with a small amount of bleach+water to soak the feeder parts in will be beneficial in removing. Then do the same washing technique aforementioned.

The population of hummers has doubled in the last couple of years and they are very used to my presence moving about, etc. because I am responsible for their well being. They do return to locales they've been to before during their migrations from Mexico. I have collectively nicknamed them "my kids", because I take the hummingbird feeder duties very seriously, including rotation, washing/replenishing, etc. I cannot imagine not having my kids swooping around in my front garden every year...

Regards,
Marc
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Marc. Yeah they are a challenge to shoot. I've already decided that one of the tricks is to set up on a feeder with only one or 2 spouts. I found that they spent a lot of time on the back side of the feeder and I figure if you can limit their options a bit that will help your odds.

Thanks for the info about the feeder solution. We sure don't want to make these little beauties sick do we? I'm gonna put out several feeders at my house next spring in hopes of getting some hooked. Is there any hummingbird "cocaine" that attracts them more and will get them "hooked" on your yard vs. someone elses? LOL

Mike
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

attracting hummingbirds

The best way to encourage activity (not including my tips on the solution care/handling) is to plant flowering plants AND small bushes in your garden. A great example is the purple sand cherry bush: grows quickly, beautiful leaves and great for them to perch on. Also have some others including an umbrella plant (potted, simply put outside in the summer time) and similar tree like bushes that don't grow much over 6 feet.

Flowering plants can include the following - pretty much any brightly colored and/or tubular flower:
Hibiscus
Autumn Sage
Bee Balm (Bergamot)
Bleeding Heart
Day Lilies
Fuschia
Snap Dragons
Peonies
Cardinal Flower (Lobelia)

Shrubs:
Butterfly bush
Azalea
Lilac
Flowering Quince
Weigela (Cardinal Shrub)

Vines:
Morning Glory
Trumpet Creepers
Honeysuckle
Mandevalia

Trees:
Flowering Crabapple
Hawthorne
Siberian Pea Tree
Mimosa

The above is a very short list, it's just for starters....

Try this book(let): Enjoying Hummingbirds, by Nancy Newfield. There are more than a few out there.

Regards,
Marc
07-22-2009, 03:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More Thanks Marc... I'll be looking for that or similar books.

Mike