Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Street shots - studies on composition
Posted By: gawan, 07-20-2009, 11:20 AM

These try to follow classic golden proportions

Here I tried to balance different elements by cropping properly

Was 27.9.2008 a special day for canadians?

Views: 2,019
07-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Inactive Account

The first one is "meh", there is a huge empty space on the left side. I think it would look a lot better cropped with the street sign in the top left corner and the girls in the bottom right.

The rest is fine. I really like the wide-angle distortion in the third one and the rails in the second one. Gives them a sense of depth.
07-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by impact Quote
The first one is "meh", there is a huge empty space on the left side. I think it would look a lot better cropped with the street sign in the top left corner and the girls in the bottom right.

The rest is fine. I really like the wide-angle distortion in the third one and the rails in the second one. Gives them a sense of depth.
Thanks for the comments, Impact! I actually had a tighter crop from the first shot, but I widened it to get back the feeling of a descending street. I'll try a tighter crop again.. the third is my favourite also.

Here is another try of the first shot

Last edited by gawan; 07-22-2009 at 08:31 AM.
07-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Damn Brit

I like the original of the first one Georg, I see what you were trying toconvey, that the two women are going somewhere.
Nice sense of proportion in the second one.
Third one is a little dark for my liking.
Fourth one, I think I would crop it on the right so that the building comes right out of the corner and clone out what remains of the little flag, I think it is more of a distraction to the composition. I would also clone out the wire.

07-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like 'em all Georg - and actually prefer the original #1 to the cropped version.

Jer
07-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I like the original of the first one Georg, I see what you were trying toconvey, that the two women are going somewhere.
Nice sense of proportion in the second one.
Third one is a little dark for my liking.
Fourth one, I think I would crop it on the right so that the building comes right out of the corner and clone out what remains of the little flag, I think it is more of a distraction to the composition. I would also clone out the wire.
Thanks Gary! After seeing these through your eyes, I'll try a lighter version of the third one!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I like 'em all Georg - and actually prefer the original #1 to the cropped version.

Jer
Thanks, I think I am happy too with my original consideration, but it was worth trying again with help from the comments I got!
07-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots Georg. The fourth is too dark IMO, but the rest are very neat. I like the original first, it's a typical street shot, with a classical composition. And the bilangual street sign has a historical background, I suppose? Gatan is Swedish, I think the first one is Finnish?
07-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the shots; good composition... #2 and #3 look so familiar to me when I was in Brussel, Belgium years ago; especially that corner - I was looking for a bank machine. Thanks for sharing!

07-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Great shots Georg. The fourth is too dark IMO, but the rest are very neat. I like the original first, it's a typical street shot, with a classical composition. And the bilangual street sign has a historical background, I suppose? Gatan is Swedish, I think the first one is Finnish?

Rense, thanks for the comments! And yes, 'gatan' = 'katu' = 'street' which makes this street in English something like Mary's Street. In helsinki most streets in Central town have bilingual, Swedish-Finnish names!

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I like the shots; good composition... #2 and #3 look so familiar to me when I was in Brussel, Belgium years ago; especially that corner - I was looking for a bank machine. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Aleonx3! This part of Helsinki has many so called neo-classic or repeated-style buildings which are common in many cities in Europe, that makes the resemblance.