Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Awaiting The People
Posted By: Jimbo, 07-20-2009, 02:49 PM

I have shot these canoes a few times from a few different locations. Which do you prefer? I am leaning towards the top one. JIM

Views: 3,650
07-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jim, I really think you hit the mark on the last one. It went from really good to excellent. Well worth framing.

John

07-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Hi Jim, I really think you hit the mark on the last one. It went from really good to excellent. Well worth framing.

John
QuoteQuote:
Hey, while you're busy changing the photo into something it wasn't (instead of spending that time finding a more suitable composition), you might as well change the colour of the boats to make it an even more peaceful looking scene. And while you've got Photoshop open, why not paste some swimming loons into the upper right side... you know, "nature
Seems I should have walked on water to keep the grass out of the shot or just walked away because it was not natural enough! cheers JIM
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, when you start removing major elements of an image, simply because you couldn't get the shot from your vantage point, it makes me wonder why you bother with photography... you know, capturing that which is before you. Although I accept your apology, I offer a suggestion: painting may be a more lucrative hobby. It'll always be how you want it.

Update: no need to walk on water with all those boats waiting for you!
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Hi Jim, Just thought I would let you know my wife prefers the second shot with the grass and the pole. Yea I know there are a lot of opinions out there some are less then constructive.

I always enjoy your posts and your work. Some should not even respond if they feel they just need to be rude.

John

07-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

They're both really great. And the first tightly cropped shot is as well. If you're going to clone out elements from the foreground, something I'm generally not in favor of, I think I might try cloning out the manufacturer's name from the canoes also. Either way, I like the first one the best--but only by a slim margin.
07-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I guess not a fan of photo adjustments. Sorry for bothering you. JIM
Photography is an art. Art is the translation of what is in your minds eye to what is visual to the eye. Whatever you do, however you do it is a realization of what you emotionally see with your soul.

jimH
07-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Hi Jim, Just thought I would let you know my wife prefers the second shot with the grass and the pole. Yea I know there are a lot of opinions out there some are less then constructive.

I always enjoy your posts and your work. Some should not even respond if they feel they just need to be rude.

John
Tell your wife thanks and looking forward to meeting both of you. I was just going by a suggestion that Gary made and really should have sent over on a PM instead of playing around on this post, as I do know some our sensitive to some PP work. Still a big learning curve to go and feedback, no matter what, is ok and I did apolize by the sounds of it. JIM

07-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Tell your wife thanks and looking forward to meeting both of you. I was just going by a suggestion that Gary made and really should have sent over on a PM instead of playing around on this post, as I do know some our sensitive to some PP work. Still a big learning curve to go and feedback, no matter what, is ok and I did apolize by the sounds of it. JIM
I don't think that you have any reason to apologize. Ansel Adams was a master photographer, but he was also a master "darkroom" manipulator. If it wasn't for his "post processing" you would have never seen some of his very best work.

jimH
07-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
don't think that you have any reason to apologize. Ansel Adams was a master photographer, but he was also a master "darkroom" manipulator. If it wasn't for his "post processing" you would have never seen some of his very best work.

jimH
Look, I have only been at this for about a year and a half and if I have learned anything is everyone will have a a difference of option on what is good or bad in any image but for me if I stop listening to suggestions or criticism of any kind then the learning curve will stop. Just hearing all positive comments without hearing constructive feedback is not good either. I think that is true of any hobby or job one takes on. Cheers JIM
07-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Look, I have only been at this for about a year and a half and if I have learned anything is everyone will have a a difference of option on what is good or bad in any image but for me if I stop listening to suggestions or criticism of any kind then the learning curve will stop. Just hearing all positive comments without hearing constructive feedback is not good either. I think that is true of any hobby or job one takes on. Cheers JIM
I agree with your intent, however you must be faithful to your own vision, because in the end, that's what counts. I agree constructive criticism is essential to learning, but don't let it kill your own vision. The content of your photos is what counts, not how you got there. We don't all get perfect photographic scenarios laid in our laps.

jimH
07-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
agree with your intent, however you must be faithful to your own vision, because in the end, that's what counts. I agree constructive criticism is essential to learning, but don't let it kill your own vision. The content of your photos is what counts, not how you got there. We don't all get perfect photographic scenarios laid in our laps.

jimH
Appreciate you taking the time to reply on my images. JIM
07-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Appreciate you taking the time to reply on my images. JIM
Keep up the good work!

jimH
07-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
Hey, while you're busy changing the photo into something it wasn't (instead of spending that time finding a more suitable composition), you might as well change the colour of the boats to make it an even more peaceful looking scene. And while you've got Photoshop open, why not paste some swimming loons into the upper right side... you know, "nature".
Sheesh! Its not like Jim perpetrated the greatest fraud of history. It's just a photo man and its better without the pole. You don't like PP, don't do it! Do you clone out dust spots? Opps. dust is natural so you better leave it in. Btw, removing distracting elements is a far cry from adding things that were not there in the first place. Photographers alter reality all the time. Ever use a lens that offers a wider or narrower field of view than the human eye? Ever use a slow shutter speed to blur movement? Ever use a fast shutter speed to stop movement? If you have you have altered reality to suit your vision. Guess you'd better stick to 1/60 sec and a 50mm lens. Oh wait, even that alters reality. Guess you should give up photography and take up needle work.

Jim, Wonderful photo! I liked it best even with the pole but without it it works very well. I wouldn't have bothered cloning out the grass, but the pole had to go. Guess mischivo would have preferred for you to row out and chop it down since then it would have been more natural and suitable.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-20-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: typos
07-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #29
mel
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I like the second one even with the grass as the pole. I think they add context. I might have framed it a bit differently in the original shot, maybe a little further out with the boats a bit lower in the frame and the line of symmetry not right in the middle. but I'm good with the grass and the pole. Nice work.
07-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Sheesh! Its not like Jim perpetrated the greatest fraud of history. It's just a photo man and its better without the pole. You don't like PP, don't do it! Do you clone out dust spots? Opps. dust is natural so you better leave it in. Btw, removing distracting elements is a far cry from adding things that were not there in the first place. Photographers alter reality all the time. Ever use a lens that offers a wider or narrower field of view than the human eye? Ever use a slow shutter speed to blur movement? Ever us a fast shutter speed to stop movement? If you have you have altered reality to suit your vision. Guess you'd better stick to 1/60 sec and a 50mm lens. Oh wait, even that alters reality. Guess you should give up photography and take up needle work.

Jim, Wonderful photo! I liked it best even with the pole but without it it works very well. I wouldn't have bothered cloning out the grass, but the pole had to go. Guess mischivo would have preferred for you to row out and chop it down since then it would have been more natural and suitable.

Mike
Thanks Mike for your comments and review. I was just trying a suggestion from Gary on the crop and croning out the grass. I think I will like the orginal. Always appreciate you checking in. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Maybe I'm a weirdo but I like the second one even with the grass as the pole. I think they add context. I might have framed it a bit differently in the original shot, maybe a little further out with the boats a bit lower in the frame and the line of symmetry not right in the middle. but I'm good with the grass and the pole. Nice work.
Great suggestions Mel. I will give that a try the next time I am in the area. I am up in the air on the pole in ot out though it will not go to print either way. [already have one done from a month a go or so. Cheers and thanks again. JIM