Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
From Velvia with Love <3
Posted By: Andi Lo, 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM

Here's some shots from my first film roll from quite a while ago (August 2008?) Just got around to scanning them on the School's Coolscan 4000

Velvia is my first film love, and hence the title. When I got the slides back I was just blown away by how poppy the images are, just like looking at real life... The scan's colors are quite accurate but it doesn't shine quite like the slides. I can still see the magic though

Everything with ZX-L + FA 50 / correct rated exposure.
Views: 2,162
07-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The first image is by far the most impressive. If you quizzed me about what it was, I'd say matches. Velvia sure has that magical quality of making even the most mundane look frame-worthy (except for the last image!).

Which of the three Velvias did you use? My limited experience with these emulsions suggests Velvia 100F. My favourite personal results were from Velvia 50. I have to buy some, but it's oh-so-expensive. However, the price of Velvia 50 makes it seem like a bargain compared to the price of the E-6 processing.
07-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks mischivo! The first image was actually a detail model of a building by a Finnish architect Aalvar Aalto. The sun goes through the window and cast a shade on the model and my friend asked me to take the picture. I agree with the magical quality, even shots that are supposed to be bad looks somewhat good on the Velvia.

seminar

As for which velvia, according to the notes from the developer, it's the new Velvia 50, 1 month expired (like that matters) so I got a 50% discount. Thinking back on it I should've gotten like five! I only got one roll at the time...

I just got myself some 100F and will post again when it's scanned (which might be next year...), my "luxury film" always stays in the camera for a looong time for whatever reason. I am way more trigger happy with something like the Superia
07-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #4

Nice pics...First one really stands out :-)

07-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The first image is excellent. Nice one.
07-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series, and like others I really like the first image!
07-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mark, Pauly, and Georg! I can see you guys like that one. At first I didn't realize how special it is back when looking at the slides with a loupe.

07-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Looks great Andi!
I have several rolls in the 'fridge and you have inspired me to go shoot a roll.
07-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I actually went and bought two rolls of Velvia 50 the other day. I'll save them for my vacation. Unfortunately, the price for the stuff went up by a buck since February at the shop I get my film at. I suppose it pays to shop around, as different places in Toronto sell different films at different prices. No one place is cheapest all around. Although I think Ektar is a wiser choice for its technical merits and shooting ease (the shadows of a sunlit scene are never pitch black!), there is something very magical about slides, and the vividness, out of the box, of Velvia. I would've bought the Velvia 100 roll, but it was over a buck more expensive than the 50. I'm not sure why...
In fact, film pricing confuses the hell out of me. I understand that most film has gone up in price, but by so much? "Professional" films are astronomically priced compared to their non-professional counterparts, with the exception of Ektar. Why is Ektar, for instance, cheaper than Portra 160(N or VC)? Or FujiReala (!)? At some point, the luxury of slides and their magic loses out over the practicality of colour print film (even though I don't "print" it). For about the same price of purchasing one Velvia 50 and getting it processed and mounted, I can purchase 3 rolls of Ektar and have them developed at Costco (actually, it'll likely be a dollar or two cheaper). Oye!
07-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Scott: Thanks Scott, that makes me feel really good about the shots

@mischivo: YES! I have the exact same gripe! Checking sites such as Adorama and B&H shows that films such as Portra and Velvia are not that much more expensive than the Ektar, but here in Nova Scotia the price difference is huge as well. I can't possibly pay 25$ (cost + develop) everytime I want to shoot Velvia 50, right?

Sooner or later I think I'll start hunting films on ebay, or get an amerifriend to send some film for me

In terms of convenience, interestingly in my case I prefer E6 films since it's very convenient for me to scan, just leave it on the coolscan 4000 and go drink my morning coffee. I don't print my shots unless I use my own printer or it comes as part of the processing cost when using the supermarket 35mm lab.