Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Algonquin Sunset
Posted By: mischivo, 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Because I believe those who criticize should not be immune to criticism themselves, I'm presenting for your consideration two photographs I took while camping with Gooshin at Algonquin Provincial Park almost two years ago. Both images were taken with my Evil Canon, as any EXIF sniffers will discover.

First up: used a Sigma 10-20mm for this. Wish I had a tripod at this point, but the one I ordered two weeks before going here had not yet arrived. I'm well aware of the little branch up in the upper left hand corner, thanks.

Second up: unfortunately, digital has blown my highlights. Used the nifty fifty to take this image. I was considering Photoshopping out the trees, but deemed it impractical.

Views: 2,731
07-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

2 years? shit, time flies
07-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I require a second visit. Let's go. I also want to purchase a personal kayak.
07-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I require a second visit. Let's go. I also want to purchase a personal kayak.
get a job first you hobo

but yes, a second visit is in order.. you do know that i have an inflatable boat that can fit 6 and a 12 hp motor... technically we can go anywhere right now!

07-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first one is very nice. I like the use of the canoe to lead one's eye into the photo and the way the rocks anchor the viewer to the shore. The colors are nice and subtle and appropriate to the mood of restfulness.

The second one I am less fond of as, IMHO, it is a bit vague subject-wise and is too vertically symmetrical.

Mike

p.s. you could shoot with a Holga for all I care... LOL
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

I like the way the clouds move/point toward the center bright spot in the photo. I'm always looking for that kind of thing but not yet quite lucky enough find it just quite right. Very nicely seen. And exposed. And composed. Just beautiful. I'm with Mike on the second one.

Canon schmanon. Who cares what you shoot. It's all about the image imo.
07-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I like the way the clouds move/point toward the center bright spot in the photo. I'm always looking for that kind of thing but not yet quite lucky enough find it just quite right. Very nicely seen. And exposed. And composed. Just beautiful. I'm with Mike on the second one.

you have to understand he migrated here from dpreview...

07-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They look nice, have you given some thought to using some HDR correction in these situations?
07-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
you have to understand he migrated here from dpreview...
so. if he makes a total ass of himself then i suppose we can send him back there. but the jury's still out on that. for now.
07-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

so. if he makes a total ass of himself then i suppose we can send him back there. but the jury's still out on that. for now.
no i mean, people here are generally more accepting of other brands.
07-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got a vertical composition of the second image (and the first), but I prefer the horizontal version. For the sake of reference:

07-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
no i mean, people here are generally more accepting of other brands.
ah gotcha. i don't spend time over there so i don't know (can't stand the forum interface - click click click click just to follow one stupid thread). but still. if he makes an ass of himself we can still send him back can't we?

as for the vertical, i like the horizontal better.
07-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I own a Canon too, QL-17, good lens, love it, and doesn't take bad photo's either, but I'll get about a thousand shutter releases on my K10 to one on my Canon. Of course that's film vs digital. But who cares, I'm not too proud to admit it.

jimH
07-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
Damn Brit

I prefer the first one out of the two. I do think that the first one could benefit from cropping from the top. I know you hate cropping but I suggest it for two reasons - first the horizon is right in the middle, second the clouds at the top of the picture are too overwhelming and my eye gets drawn to them rather than the whole picture. Cropping the bulk of those clouds out takes the horizon out of the centre and I think actually increases the sense of space.
The thing I don't like about the second one is that the dark band with no detail is just a little too wide. I think it doesn't matter so quite so much in the vertical version but that advantage is lost because there is less detail in the water.
07-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the first one a lot - serene, time's slowed down. I gather from Gary's response you resist cropping; I'd get rid of the branches, but - hey - it's your image.

Jer