Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Frustration
Posted By: Sailor, 05-07-2007, 07:20 PM

One of my principal frustrations (and a frustration of a number of photographers before me) is being unable to capture the feel and the dynamics of a displacement sailboat powering along in a stiff breeze - when you're shooting from the deck of that very boat. Friday, we sailed in such a breeze (we had to put a reef in about mid afternoon) and I tried some shots which generally failed. Nevertheless, I post some here in the hope that others might have ideas how this might be done better (NaClH20, I'm betting you've got ideas, since you owned a classic folkboat).

A shot just prior to reefing; the boat is smoking along but you can't tell that from this image:

The next two were shot at 1/60s and I'm surprised that they're as sharp as they are given the (uncaptured) lively motion of the boat (SR working?); note the pristine look of the new boat shoe which won't be worn in public until its appearance becomes fashionably disreputable (otherwise one might be mistaken for a power boater):

The wind pulling at the first mate's hair, who's red appearance reflects how hard she's actually working:

My favorite of the bunch which appears absolutely static, even though the boat was haulin':

Comments on how to add visual dynamism are welcome (note: I didn't spend much energy PPing these).

Thanks,

Jer
Views: 3,375
05-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Can't blame you for not wanting to risk a K10D on my camera-on-a-stick idea.

But how would it be to pick up an old film body for a few bucks and dedicate it to making such shots?
Now that's a thought! I mentioned above I used a Nikonos for this sort of stuff - it dawned me - after reading your reply - that I've still got the thing somewhere. Maybe it still works and I could use it as I did before.

Thanks,

Jer

05-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Let's talk Tartan 4100!!

Jer
Heck Jer, I hit the lotto and we're talking a custom Hinkley ketch in the 50' range. Anchored in front of the "summer cottage" in Maine of course.

NaCl("All you need is a dollar and a dream" )H2O
05-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Heck Jer, I hit the lotto and we're talking a custom Hinkley ketch in the 50' range. Anchored in front of the "summer cottage" in Maine of course.

NaCl("All you need is a dollar and a dream" )H2O
For this dream, you'd need considerably more than a buck, my friend.

Speaking of spending money, I order a grip for my K10D, even though I think the camera is too heavy to start with. Don't know why I did it, really. Maybe my wife has the best explination: "you'll go crazy until you do, so you might as well get it - even if you never use it."

Jer