Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hiking up a creek (long exposure water shots)
Posted By: bdery, 07-25-2009, 06:28 AM

Good rubber shoes, a tripod, a polarizer and good confidence on your balance will let you capture nice scenes:

Views: 2,257
07-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice, especially the 2nd one. I was concentrating on the waterfalls during my recent shoot at Ricketts Glen and I'm sure I missed tons of fine little details like that. Well done!

Mike
07-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nicely done. #1 is my favorite.
07-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #4

Lovely photos! This is something I've always wanted to try, but living my whole life in Phoenix, it has been a bit difficult Maybe when we finally relocate, I'll find a place to try! At any rate, I really like the 2nd one, and love the last--the light spots are almost luminescent. Well done.

07-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The second one is great, because it has none of the boring green everywhere. I'm liking the traces of red in there. I feel it would've been better had the exposure been longer, but I'm not certain what you were limited to given that you didn't include exposure data.

Update: The last one is actually very nice as well. There is a good balance of water and bright green, making the scene appear less boring and more interesting. Its composition is also the strongest of the entire bunch.
07-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great series. Love the last two. JIM
07-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. I think every single photo has someone vouching for it

QuoteQuote:
This is something I've always wanted to try, but living my whole life in Phoenix, it has been a bit difficult
I'm sure there are creeks somewhere Those were shot in the country 30 minutes from Quebec city (actually, this creek ends up in the lake where we have our summer house).

QuoteQuote:
I feel it would've been better had the exposure been longer, but I'm not certain what you were limited to given that you didn't include exposure data.
Photobucket should preserve the EXIF data. At any rate, these were shot with my lens at about f16-f18 (I didn't want diffraction to be too apparent) with a polarizer. It gave me exposure times between 1 and 4 seconds depending on the shot.

One thing I could have done, thinking about it, would have been using multi-exposures with that configuration. If I could manage to keep the camera from moving each time I pressed the shutter, it would probably have increased the effect of flowing water. A remote would have helped for this.

QuoteQuote:
boring green
I personally love the green, especially when the polarizer enhances it. But to each his own.

QuoteQuote:
Its composition is also the strongest of the entire bunch.
Composition can be a problem when you have to find a rock large enough to hold your tripod and yourself... I would definitely not have liked to drop the camera on wet rocks and water...

07-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #8

Oh, yes...there are plenty of creeks. Just none with any water in them! LOL. And certainly none of that green stuff either.
07-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Forum Member

Nicely done!

This is a lovely series of slow shutter speed water shots. The greenery is far from boring .. with these types of shots, the greenery does a wonderful job of framing the blacks, grays and whites of the moving water. I'd have to say that #5 is my favourite.
07-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I love them all

But #2 is special

Just couldn't get my eyes off it

Great sharing
07-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
Oh, yes...there are plenty of creeks. Just none with any water in them! LOL. And certainly none of that green stuff either.
Kierra, Do people still tube on the Salt River? I spent a couple of days enjoying floating down river then riding back up to the put-in to do it all over, when I was out there several years ago. I know its not whitewater, but it could make for some interesting photos.

Mike
07-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just12hvFun Quote
I love them all

But #2 is special

Just couldn't get my eyes off it

Great sharing
That's a great compliment! Thank you very much.