Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Attack of the Purple Fringe
Posted By: 8540tomg, 07-25-2009, 04:09 PM

My old SMC Pentax 400/5.6 is prone to PF as you can plainly see in the following shots. This isn't uncommon in lenses of this vintage. I'm using Photoshop Elements and for the life of me I can't see any tool which would help me eliminate or cut down PF in post processing. I'm sure it is there but it has escaped me so far.

Today I took some shots of a Cedar Waxwing in a high contrast situation. Lot's of branches all about with predictable fringing. Stopping the lens down helps a bit but is there any way to get rid of this in PP? I'd appreciate some guidance. Feel free to mess with the images if you wish. I'm sure there are others out there with similar issues.

Could be a teachable moment for many of us.

Tom G
Views: 2,290
07-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got a lightroom preset called "Kill PF" which basically desaturates and darkens the purple channel. This works wonders as long as your scene doesn't have anything which is supposed to be purple in it - in that case you need to use a layer mask in Photoshop to selectively desaturate and darken it...

07-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I've got a lightroom preset called "Kill PF" which basically desaturates and darkens the purple channel. This works wonders as long as your scene doesn't have anything which is supposed to be purple in it - in that case you need to use a layer mask in Photoshop to selectively desaturate and darken it...
Hey Josh...Could you kill the CA as well?

Do you have a link to the "Kill PF" preset? I have been doing this manually, but a preset might be nice.

Steve
07-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a preset "Fix DA Fisheye" that uses the CA reduction sliders because this lens is very weak against PF as well. It works only to a certain extent. I haven't tried desturating the purple channel though. I might try that

07-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PSP X2 also works

Tom

PSP X2 chromeric aboration tool also works just fine

I ran the process twice,. once for purple one for green

Thereason I don't use the PF tool is that you can't control the radius of fringing in the PF tool but you can in the CA tool
Attached Images

07-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

It appears I need to upgrade my software to get a fix then. I really like the M 400/5.6 as it gives me that extra reach for bird shots. It is the same story as our K 300/4 eh Lowell? I the right conditions it performs very well but neither has low dispersion ED elements. Then again neither one cost a fortune. You can work around the PF and CAs but they impose some limits.

Tom G
07-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hey Josh...Could you kill the CA as well?

Do you have a link to the "Kill PF" preset? I have been doing this manually, but a preset might be nice.

Steve
Actually, I do have presets for CA for certain of my lenses (ie, Tamron 400 f/4 + 1.4x TC), but you'll have to make your own for that lens ...

I uploaded my Kill PF preset to here, but be advised it's for Lr 1.4.1 so I don't know how it'll interact w/ 2.*. I imagine it will still work the same since the salient parts of the preset are:
Code:
LuminanceAdjustmentPurple = -26,
SaturationAdjustmentPurple = -100,
I find this a good starting point and see if any tweaking will help the specific PF I'm dealing with... usually I find this preset to just about nail it though...

07-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Actually, I do have presets for CA for certain of my lenses (ie, Tamron 400 f/4 + 1.4x TC), but you'll have to make your own for that lens ...

I uploaded my Kill PF preset to here, but be advised it's for Lr 1.4.1 so I don't know how it'll interact w/ 2.*. I imagine it will still work the same since the salient parts of the preset are:
Code:
LuminanceAdjustmentPurple = -26,
SaturationAdjustmentPurple = -100,
I find this a good starting point and see if any tweaking will help the specific PF I'm dealing with... usually I find this preset to just about nail it though...
Thanks Josh. I use LR 1.4.1 as well so this will work. As for a preset for the Tammy 400/4...Yes indeed, though I think I will have to get the lens first!

Steve
07-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks guys.

It appears I need to upgrade my software to get a fix then. I really like the M 400/5.6 as it gives me that extra reach for bird shots. It is the same story as our K 300/4 eh Lowell? I the right conditions it performs very well but neither has low dispersion ED elements. Then again neither one cost a fortune. You can work around the PF and CAs but they impose some limits.

Tom G
tom

how do you think I got so good at getting rid of CA

As we both hgve the K300F4 and have posted great shots with it, you know exactly the limitations.

Good software and a little time on images shot under bad conditions can make great images
07-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Thanks guys.

It appears I need to upgrade my software to get a fix then.

Tom G
No need for new software. Elements should have the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. It works dandy:

Select "Magentas" and refine by clicking and +clicking on the offending purple fringes. Then lower saturation to taste -- it will need a lot -- and maybe adjust the lightness slider a bit as well.
Now choose "Greens". Then refine the selected colors as with the eyedropper and lower saturation / adj lightness. (You can use the same Hue/Sat layer for both colors or set up one for each color.)
This image doesn't need it, but you can then paint black on the layer mask(s) to 'undo' de-saturation of any important image elements.

07-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mark

This forum continues to educate. I'll give it a try.

Tom G
07-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Crazy thing is I like the orginal the best. Nice shots Tom. JIM
07-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jim.

The M 400/5.6 and K 300/4 are my two longest lenses and both are prone to PF and CAs. They are my birding lenses and with the sun at my back in a low contrast situation they can deliver great images. I try to keep this in mind when shooting but the birds seldom cooperate. If I can master some of these PP tools I hope to extend the possibilities of these two old timers.

Tom G