Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Need for speed
Posted By: Denis, 07-25-2009, 07:48 PM

I was at the Edmonton Indy today.

Here is a few taken with Sigma 70-200 HSM.

Last edited by Denis; 07-25-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Views: 2,756
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hukkanen Quote
Great shots.

I've been looking to get more reach in sports photography to accompany my DA* 50-135mm. It is a marvellous lens and I've taken some great pictures with it, but getting a tad more reach could mean a world to me in some situations. I shoot mainly ice hockey, which means demanding indoor photography. It can be really tricky as the subjects move fast and tend to have an annoying habit of getting off focus, as expected.

I know that basically my options are between the Sigma and Tamron 70-200mm lenses. These photos look good given the circumstances, especially the lack of good places to take the photos. I simply just don't know which to go for?

Naturally the K-7 might do some magic to noise control and sensitivity when compared to the K10, which would help me to control the zone of focus with more range in it. In ice hockey it would sometimes be beneficial to have a bit more flexibility there instead of having to go aperture full open.
In my opinion, these lenses would do a good job. At 135mm, it is a not as easy. You need to get closer but it is the only drawback. The more I play with mine the better I understand the required settings for some shots. Inside, low light condition is a major problem and the need to have fast lenses ( F2.8) is essential. If additionally noise reduction to an acceptable level combined with a fast lens will add to better IQ.

07-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
TJOS

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
In my opinion, these lenses would do a good job. At 135mm, it is a not as easy. You need to get closer but it is the only drawback.
The 135mm range (with the crop multiplier of course), is great already, but it doesn't reach too far to be honest, even with the crop factor.

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
Inside, low light condition is a major problem and the need to have fast lenses ( F2.8) is essential. If additionally noise reduction to an acceptable level combined with a fast lens will add to better IQ.
Agreed. I'm unsure which way to go, Sigma or Tamron, as the autofocus part is essential. I do tend to take more single shots based on my awereness and anticipation as they tend to yield better image quality and composition in general.

Basically I love taking great pictures, quality over quantity, but is Tamron's AF that slow, slower than the DA* AF? Sigma is said to be better, but is it worth losing quality? Or am I even losing much quality with Sigma?

Last edited by TJOS; 11-24-2011 at 06:19 PM.
07-31-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hukkanen Quote
Basically I love taking great pictures, quality over quantity, but is Tamron's AF that slow, slower than the DA* AF? Sigma is said to be better, but is it worth losing quality? Or am I even losing much quality with Sigma?
No, I would not be off to say the AF is not that far apart. How quick does AF has to be anyway?

The good thing about the Sigma is the quietness of AF. As for IQ, some say Tamron is better but I can't comment as I do not have one to compare.

From experience, the more one uses a lens the better the results. My Sigma performs very well and satifies my needs. In the end it could also be a matter of IQ perception. A criteria which often causes one to be satified or not with the final lens selection.