Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Boxing
Posted By: mel, 07-30-2009, 04:11 AM

I got to go shoot some amateur and pro boxing with BrendanPK last Saturday night in Baltimore MD. I've been waiting for Brendan to post first but since he has more of a life than I do . . .

Anyway, I've never shot boxing before and never really paid much attention to it. But being right there ringside for it is an amazing experience. And I only got nailed by the ropes one time. So now I know the reason you shoot it with short lenses. There was another photographer there who is a professional sports shooter and is widely published in the major boxing magazines. He was very helpful and gave me some great advice for shooting.

Overall a fun time. These men are amazing athletes. I have a new respect for the sport and the type of conditioning they commit themselves too. I wasn't going to post any but Mike bullied me into it (jk mike). So here's a few.

This last one, as he was stepping into the ring, the photographers were told to get a lot of shots of the first round. We weren't sure if that was due to lots of confidence in the fighter or lack of confidence. Well this fighter won his bout by a knockout in 50 seconds (it's the guy lying on the mat above).

Views: 6,601
08-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #46
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all! I'm pretty sure I didn't get any sweat but I did get nailed in the face/mouth by my camera when I didn't pull away from the ring fast enough as the boxers slammed into the ropes. a rope hit my lens and my camera hit my face. That kinda hurt a little.

Sports are by far my favorite subject to shoot as well. The challenge of following them and getting the "shot" really gives me an adreneline rush (I know, I'm a weirdo).

08-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
lol thanks alan. yeah i could definitely shoot this again. i hope brendan will let me tag along again to the next event.

hey i'm going to up in your neck of the woods next saturday, well manhattan anyway. kind of close-ish.
Awww man! I'll be at the very east end of Long Island meeting a client scouting a wedding venue (for 2010). A good 3 hours from the city.....have fun and bring a wide angle + 50-135 for street shooting.
08-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats

Mel, congratulations for winning the DPReview Challenge with your boxing shot

Andre