Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Boxing
Posted By: mel, 07-30-2009, 04:11 AM

I got to go shoot some amateur and pro boxing with BrendanPK last Saturday night in Baltimore MD. I've been waiting for Brendan to post first but since he has more of a life than I do . . .

Anyway, I've never shot boxing before and never really paid much attention to it. But being right there ringside for it is an amazing experience. And I only got nailed by the ropes one time. So now I know the reason you shoot it with short lenses. There was another photographer there who is a professional sports shooter and is widely published in the major boxing magazines. He was very helpful and gave me some great advice for shooting.

Overall a fun time. These men are amazing athletes. I have a new respect for the sport and the type of conditioning they commit themselves too. I wasn't going to post any but Mike bullied me into it (jk mike). So here's a few.

This last one, as he was stepping into the ring, the photographers were told to get a lot of shots of the first round. We weren't sure if that was due to lots of confidence in the fighter or lack of confidence. Well this fighter won his bout by a knockout in 50 seconds (it's the guy lying on the mat above).

Views: 5,410
07-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These are excellent! Really impressive. Wow.

You should enter them in the Sports challenge on dpReview
07-30-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the vote of confidence but these won't cut it. The description says to make sure your images are razor sharp and these aren't. Not only was it fast action but it was low light as well. Such a combination doesn't make for razor sharpness. But thanks anyway!
07-30-2009, 05:40 AM   #4

These are really good Mel, very impressive pics indeed. They may not make a cut in the competetion, but does convey what a photograph should of boxing.

Cheers
Nish

07-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #5

Very good!
07-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nice to see something new in the forum.....seem pretty darn sharp to me...
which lens did you use?? i see that you have some fast glass......
keep'em comin..............
07-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Don't be so hard on yourself Mel. You realy captured the spirit of the sport here.
Boxing is so primal isn't it?

What sort of lens did you use for these shots? I've never shot boxing but from this distance I suspect a fast short telephoto would be ideal. The 50/1.4 comes to mind as do the 85/1.4, 100/2.8 or one of the DA* 2.8 zooms. If I ever go to a bout I think from my own collection of gear I would take the DA 70/2.4 as it is fairly fast and focuses very quickly. What was the pro using?

Tom G
07-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all! I used Brendan's 50/1.4 for most of it. I also had my 16-50/2.8 and my 50-135/2.8. It seemed that 2.8 just wasn't fast enough. F/2 seemed to be about perfect and enabled me to drop my iso below 3200. With 2.8 I needed to be at 3200 to get a fast enough shutter for anything. But this meant that poor Brendan couldn't use that lens and he was the one who was SUPPOSED to be there. He shot the 16-50 and the 77mm. On my K10d I had the 50-135 that I used for shooting closer up between rounds, and I would pick that up and shoot it when my k-7 had a full card in the middle of a round (then I'd change it between rounds). During the rounds if I had to pick it up I'd be shooting it at the 50 end. I was shooting that when I got nailed. The fighters came into the ropes and the rope came into my lens. Good think I had the hood on there. I just didn't pull back fast enough.

The "pro" (and I hate making the distinction because our own BrendanPK is every bit as much a pro as this other guy) was shooting a Canon 50d with a zoom that was about 24-70 I think.

My next lens purchase is going to be that 50/1.4. It's a sweet lens.

Camera count for the night (this is cameras, not shooters) Canon - 1, Nikon - 1, Pentax - 4. We win.

07-30-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Terrific series - refreshingly different subject and really captures - as some said earlier - the atmosphere of a boxing match.

Jer
07-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #10

They are all more than sharp enough. There is way more to good photos (of any kind) than sharpness. Nos. 1,2 & 4 really stand out to me.
07-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
Forum Member

Mel, you are insane. I'm a big boxing fan, and I'm telling yout that these are awesome shots. I especially like the black and white and the shot with the ropes visible because they're something a little different and they're done well.

I can see any of these being published in The Ring magazine. If I could shoot like that, I'd continue to work at boxing events and try selling my stuff to boxing publications.
07-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edward B. Quote
Mel, you are insane. I'm a big boxing fan, and I'm telling yout that these are awesome shots. I especially like the black and white and the shot with the ropes visible because they're something a little different and they're done well.

I can see any of these being published in The Ring magazine. If I could shoot like that, I'd continue to work at boxing events and try selling my stuff to boxing publications.
Lol. So not too shabby for a girl?

The deal with this is that I'm to give over the keepers to the event organizer, which I'll be doing here shortly as I'm almost finished going through them all (finally). Hopefully I'll be invited back to play again and I'll see what I can find out about the various publications (and take better notes, I was very involved in shooting part and not paying attention to fighters names, scores, etc).

I really have to thank Brendan for letting me tag along. I think I found a new addiction. Shooting boxing ringside rocks.

And thanks too Jer and Darren. I was hesitant to post BECAUSE it's something a bit different.
07-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Lol. So not too shabby for a girl?

The deal with this is that I'm to give over the keepers to the event organizer, which I'll be doing here shortly as I'm almost finished going through them all (finally). Hopefully I'll be invited back to play again and I'll see what I can find out about the various publications (and take better notes, I was very involved in shooting part and not paying attention to fighters names, scores, etc).

I really have to thank Brendan for letting me tag along. I think I found a new addiction. Shooting boxing ringside rocks.

And thanks too Jer and Darren. I was hesitant to post BECAUSE it's something a bit different.
Wow, Mel - not too shabby for anyone!

I'm glad you posted them, they are different from our usual fare and that's always a good thing.

Jim
07-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hmmmmm - I thought you needed a Nikon or a Canon for these type of shots;-)

Ha Ha just digging - superb shots in any case.

Dylan
07-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Igilligan

Excellent

Mel, I absolutely think you should put one of these in the challenge thread. Number 4 is a classic boxing shot... (did you try a PP that one in B&W?
I am really impressed with how well you did at your first attempt, in what must have been some tough lighting.

What a great opportunity to get a chance to shoot ringside with two experienced shooters... I really enjoyed these and look forward to seeing some from your next series.