Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Help with music photos.
Posted By: mingdie, 05-10-2007, 04:02 PM

Jeffs theme “music” for the challenge a few weeks back made me try a few shots when my son played the guitar.
Now I would like some suggestions on how I can improve. Please give some feedback on the two photos below and how you would do it. Different angles, dof or anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Eddie
Views: 1,641
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Eddie, for what it's worth, I would think you would want to focus on the fingers on the fret, or a shot with the fingers strumming (or with the pick). For me, the first shot would be better with the fingers in focus. The second shot is closer to what I would have in mind. Just my thoughts.

Jeff
05-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the first one - maybe it'd be a bit better with more DOF (perhaps not possible under the condtions?). Also, the shot might look a little more "dynamic" if the neck were portrayed more diagonally across the frame?

Jer
05-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jeff, Jer. Thank you. I agree that the fingers should be in focus. I have also taken your other suggestions onboard. I will see if I can get my son to help out in the weekend.

Cheers

Eddie

05-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #5

Hi Eddie,

I personally prefer shots of musicians where one can see what both hands are doing... esp. in the case of people playing stringed instruments. There is a sense of balance and grace lent to the photograph when both hands are visible because they are both equally important in creating music.

I like the angle of the second shot but I think much would be added if one saw the chord... some chord shapes are particularly beautiful and make for very nice photographs.

Motion blur works really nicely in some cases... after all, the instrument is being played!

I like the look of concentration in pic 2. I look forward to seeing more!

Nikhil
05-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Nikhil. Very good points. Of course their is a better balance with both hands in the picture. I can now see a different angle to this.

Cheers

Eddie
05-11-2007, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The lighting is dull, overall tonality of the shots reflect this. Please look at the background through the viewfinder before you finally push the button; slight realignment to either lose background distractions or improve figure-ground go a long way to improve composition. I second Nikhil's excellent comments.

05-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Donald. Good comment. It is easy to forget the background when you concentrate on the object.

Cheers

Eddie