Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Blue Angels: Seafair practice
Posted By: OrenMc, 08-01-2009, 04:53 AM

I just got off work so I didn't have any time to position myself but it was fun anyway. These guys flying overhead and the noise of the turbines is spectacular.
I didn't post any that were too far away. Shooting through the heat and haze doesn't work very well.

This has a bit of distance though but it was the only shot I got of the with all 6 in formation.

I was really happy when I looked at this photo because I could read the letters on the lens. I love my Sigma 100-300 f4

I sure wish I could get some shots of them doing some manuevers but I hate fighting crowds. Maybe I can figure something out tomorrow. I will post if I do.
Hope you enjoyed

Oren

Last edited by OrenMc; 08-02-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Views: 4,322
08-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ahhh Seafair time again. As a kid we used to go every year to watch the hydroplane races on Lake Washington. The Budwiser boat was always our favorite because my grandfather worked as a distributer for them.

Nice shots.
08-01-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Ahhh Seafair time again. As a kid we used to go every year to watch the hydroplane races on Lake Washington. The Budwiser boat was always our favorite because my grandfather worked as a distributer for them.

Nice shots.
Those are really nice Oren. Where were they doing the practice, over Lake Washington? Count me in as another one who useta love the hydro races on the lake (being in Nebraska now, it's a real challenge to get there ). The Miss Bud was always a favorite of mine too. Personally, though, I wish they would quit using the jet turbine engines, and go back to the golden days when boats ran those lovely-sounding V-12 Rolls-Royce Merlin engines... THAT is the true sound of hydro racing!

Jim
08-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice shots.
That is what I was thinking. When I was a kid growing up in Seattle, my folks used to take us down to Alki beach to watch the Seafair "Pirates" land. We all got pirate hats and eye patches. The boat races were the high point. They raced small hydroplanes on Green Lake and the big unlimited class on Lake Washington. For weeks before the actual races, we would tow crude wooden hydroplane models decorated to look like the real boats behind our bicycles on long strings. Miss Budweiser was always the favorite.

Steve

08-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
...Personally, though, I wish they would quit using the jet turbine engines, and go back to the golden days when boats ran those lovely-sounding V-12 Rolls-Royce Merlin engines... THAT is the true sound of hydro racing!
So true! When the races were running you could hear the engines throughout the city and many of the surrounding suburbs. It sounded like millions of angry bees!

Steve
08-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Blue Angels: Seafair practice

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Personally, though, I wish they would quit using the jet turbine engines, and go back to the golden days when boats ran those lovely-sounding V-12 Rolls-Royce Merlin engines... THAT is the true sound of hydro racing!

Jim
Unfortunately the supply of parts for those old WWII piston engines long ago dried up. Ed Cooper out of Evansville, IN still runs the V-12 Allison's. (I think he must have lots of stuff still squirreled away) Unfortunately he toast's 1 or 2 engine a weekend. The current rules on the turbines has cut way back on engine failures.

OrenMc, Nice shots. I got a chance to catch the tail end of the Thunderbirds practicing in Dayton a couple of weeks ago. I got one or two OK shots. I wasn't in the best location myself. I still have to work on my aviation shots.
08-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Nice shots. your location did not matter you got them nice and sharp

08-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've done remarkably well capturing these planes travelling at the speeds they do.
You've put that top lens to great use.
Well done.
08-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the Blue Angels Oren great stuff

cheers
08-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the kind comments. I have only lived in seattle since 2000 so is nice to have you share a little of its history. Also glad I could bring back some memories for you that have lived here.
Was Miss Budweiser the boat or...
08-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Thanks all for the kind comments. I have only lived in seattle since 2000 so is nice to have you share a little of its history. Also glad I could bring back some memories for you that have lived here.
Was Miss Budweiser the boat or...

It was the boat. What was that driver's name that was killed driving it? Chenoweth I think was his last name. Dean? Dave? Anyway, my grandfather the Budwiser distributer had an opportunity to meet him several years before that accident and it was kind of cool for him.

Dang I'm getting homesick. I really miss Seattle. (sniff).
08-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It was the boat. What was that driver's name that was killed driving it? Chenoweth I think was his last name. Dean? Dave? Anyway, my grandfather the Budwiser distributer had an opportunity to meet him several years before that accident and it was kind of cool for him.

Wish I had known that you were from Seattle. My wife and I were there (and Olympia) 22-28 July visiting out grandson, and I could have brought you something from "home". It was hot as all get out there, and even worse in Portland. It got even worse after we left -- Seattle/Olympia set a record last Wednesday or Thursday.
08-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Good Captures - always love to see air shows. These guys get my respect.
08-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Dean Chenoweth, killed in a crash in 1982 (thanks Google!) over in the Tri-Cities on the Columbia River. One of many thru the years.

Jim
08-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice shots.
Same situation, use to go to Time Trials on the friday of seafair weekend, it was nice cuz it was free to watch. Then of course you have the seafair parade, and had to stop buy Dick's to get a burger and fries!

Great pics BTW!! Your pics give me hope for the sigma 100-300mm F4. I just traded my DA*300mm F4 for it from another member and havent been too happy with results. Hand held gets hard sometimes. Makes me want to keep taking pics.