Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stockholm outer skerries
Posted By: Haakan, 08-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Sailed to an old fishing outpost in the outskirts of the Stockholm Archipelago.

First is an evening shot of some of the old fishing huts (nowadays vacation houses).

Next is a morning shot of some sailing boats tucked into a small natural harbour.

Both taken with the K10D and the kit lens.

Views: 3,084
08-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i like your compositions...the first pic especially so....
08-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful pictures - it's great to see sailing/cruising pictures from around the world.

Jer
08-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
i like your compositions...the first pic especially so....
Thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wonderful pictures - it's great to see sailing/cruising pictures from around the world.

Jer
Thank you. The Stockholm Archipelago is a very nice place for sailing. About 30,000 islands, no tide, sunlight until late evenings. Also, with the Right of Public Access in Sweden, you can anchor up to any island as you please (as long as it is not very close to someones living quarters), set up your camp and do excursions.

And as a way to spend the vacation (and weekends), sailing is hard to beat.

Best regards,
Haakan

08-02-2009, 03:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh, I'm a sucker for a timber hull boat, the cutter in the last image looks beautiful. Good shots too!
08-02-2009, 03:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Oh, I'm a sucker for a timber hull boat, the cutter in the last image looks beautiful. Good shots too!
It is a beatiful boat, they had sailed it up from Holland. But it tricked me too, it is actually a one-off, custom built for the owner to look like an old cutter. The hull is made of aluminium, and below the waterline it has a modern body with bulb keel. Talk about wolf in sheep's clothing.

If I just had the money myself... (my boat is the white one next to it, much more modest)

Best regards,
Haakan
08-02-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a great place to have a camera and you've done well by it.

08-02-2009, 04:52 AM   #8
JMR
Veteran Member

Nice photos. This place looks a lot like Newfoundland, Canada, affectionately known as 'the rock." It is a huge island composed of rock, unsuitable for farming. It's main industry was and still is fishing and today, offshore oil exploration.

JMR
08-02-2009, 05:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Haakan Quote
It is a beatiful boat, they had sailed it up from Holland. But it tricked me too, it is actually a one-off, custom built for the owner to look like an old cutter. The hull is made of aluminium, and below the waterline it has a modern body with bulb keel. Talk about wolf in sheep's clothing.

If I just had the money myself... (my boat is the white one next to it, much more modest)

Best regards,
Haakan
Haakan, I like the looks of your boat a great deal - looks like a well-conceived, no-nonsense sailing craft. I've not encountered a sistership here in the US; is your boat a custom job or a production model?

Jer
08-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Looks like a great place to have a camera and you've done well by it.
Thank you, and it is actually nicer in reality

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Nice photos. This place looks a lot like Newfoundland, Canada, affectionately known as 'the rock." It is a huge island composed of rock, unsuitable for farming. It's main industry was and still is fishing and today, offshore oil exploration.

JMR
I think you are right. I have been in Canada a few times, but never Newfoundland. Hope to get there one day though. I remember seeing a movie - The Shipping News, that had some wonderful scenery from there.

Haakan, I like the looks of your boat a great deal - looks like a well-conceived, no-nonsense sailing craft. I've not encountered a sistership here in the US; is your boat a custom job or a production model?

Jer
It is an old Swedish boat, Hallberg Rassy 35 - Rasmus (the older version of the HR 35). It is a full keel heavy displacement boat. Not fast but very steady even in windy conditions. Actually I did buy the boat in Florida when the dollar was low, and shipped it to Germany (lower VAT than Sweden). Then we sailed up through Denmark and along the Swedish coast.

Still some fixing up to do on the boat though.

Best regards,
Haakan
08-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Haakan Quote
. . . . . It is an old Swedish boat, Hallberg Rassy 35 - Rasmus (the older version of the HR 35). It is a full keel heavy displacement boat. Not fast but very steady even in windy conditions. Actually I did buy the boat in Florida when the dollar was low, and shipped it to Germany (lower VAT than Sweden). Then we sailed up through Denmark and along the Swedish coast.. . . . .

Best regards,
Haakan
An HR? A rich man's boat - no wonder I haven't seen one .

Jer
08-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful colours. Thanks for sharing.
08-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #13

Original Poster
An HR? A rich man's boat - no wonder I haven't seen one .

Jer
Wish I was rich , but I bought the boat second hand a few years ago. It is from 1976 and needed some maintenance quite bad, so the price was not at all that high. The build quality is very good though, so it is worth putting some time into fixing it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Beautiful colours. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you

Best regards,
Haakan