Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Available light vs Flash - Old power plant
Posted By: gawan, 08-02-2009, 06:45 AM

These examples (pairs actually) are from visit to an old power plant museum, where in low light I used my normal flash (Metz 58). Lucky I also had my tripod with me because the available light in many cases was way more interesting than what I could get with flash. Flash may reveal more in documentary sense but artistically I preferred the available light most of the time.

What do you think (a is available light and b is flash version):

In these my point is clear, I think:

#1 a

#1 b

In these one can argue for either one, which do you prefer

#2 a

#2 b

This is my favourite, but only with available light...

#3 a only

Last edited by gawan; 08-03-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
Views: 4,723
08-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The available light has more "pop" than the flash pictures. I would expect that since the flash would have less dynamic range. The flash, however, reveals more shadow detail, again expected. A third option would have been available light HDR. Lightly done, I think HDR would have had the pop of the available light and yet more shadow detail (wider dynamic range).
08-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
The available light has more "pop" than the flash pictures. I would expect that since the flash would have less dynamic range. The flash, however, reveals more shadow detail, again expected. A third option would have been available light HDR. Lightly done, I think HDR would have had the pop of the available light and yet more shadow detail (wider dynamic range).
Thanks for the comment! Many times I can manage with adjusting shadows/highlights — much more delicate than HDR, which is hard to do naturally.
08-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's simple to me - on-axis flash is flat, boring and renders the subject featureless IMO.
Lighting that's mixed and/or simply not in the same direction as the lens will always produce better quality light and subject features.

Again, this is my opinion as I'm sure there will be others who like the front-on flash look. Definitely not me - even if diffused. With beauty dish - now there's a significant improvement, but still not better than off-camera setups...

08-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's simple to me - on-axis flash is flat, boring and renders the subject featureless IMO.
Lighting that's mixed and/or simply not in the same direction as the lens will always produce better quality light and subject features.

Again, this is my opinion as I'm sure there will be others who like the front-on flash look. Definitely not me - even if diffused. With beauty dish - now there's a significant improvement, but still not better than off-camera setups...
Thanks - and yes, of course - I have to get me an off-the-camera cord or wireless!
08-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice series Georg - I struggle with Flash as well but am trying. Nice documentry series of the plant.
08-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I really like 1a, what an interesting place.

by the way, I agree that the existing light is much more interesting than on-camera flash.
Perhaps thoughtful use of off-camera flash could give some interesting results!

08-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #8

No contest at all for me, especially on number one. The natural light is an interesting looking photo. The one with flash is just not interesting at all. I don't mind good flash use at all, but really good flash use is difficult and quite rare and I just don't care for it when it is not well done. then again, I am sure Joe McNally could do some amazing things with his flash arsenal in that scene.
08-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

"A", no doubt. Nices series.
08-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series Georg - I struggle with Flash as well but am trying. Nice documentry series of the plant.
Thanks, Dave, old industrial places are great to shoot!!

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
I really like 1a, what an interesting place.

by the way, I agree that the existing light is much more interesting than on-camera flash.
Perhaps thoughtful use of off-camera flash could give some interesting results!
Thanks, Tim, I think I could have used my flash creatively by putting it behind of those pipes, would have given interesting variation, now there was windows on wither side in addition to the pulb in the ceiling. Only I do not posses any wireless devices...

QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
No contest at all for me, especially on number one. The natural light is an interesting looking photo. The one with flash is just not interesting at all. I don't mind good flash use at all, but really good flash use is difficult and quite rare and I just don't care for it when it is not well done. then again, I am sure Joe McNally could do some amazing things with his flash arsenal in that scene.
Thanks Darren, yes I have read with about his techniques, from the amazing book "The Moment It Clicks", but I don't have the arsenal, to use your words

QuoteOriginally posted by juanraortiz Quote
"A", no doubt. Nices series.
Thanks Juan, it really was an amazing place, both by it's machines and by the quite differentiated light it has. Bulbs, small windows in strange places etc.
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Let me throw a wrench in the works (Pun intended) :)

I like the natural light, but I'm going to be the rouge here and say both. I would shoot both flash and natural then combine the details of each (after color balancing of course) to make one that has the best of both. But then again, I'm the guy that spends way too much time on the computer trying tricks like that.
08-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
I like the natural light, but I'm going to be the rouge here and say both. I would shoot both flash and natural then combine the details of each (after color balancing of course) to make one that has the best of both. But then again, I'm the guy that spends way too much time on the computer trying tricks like that.
LOL, thanks for the tip, nevertheless! I might just try that, one of these days
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Longer exposures with natural light = teh win.

Kinda like this guy does: Flickr: hoodwatch's Photostream
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
Igilligan

Absolutely agree

Georg, 1a and 3a for me too. I find my flash shots just a tad too flat usually...

3 is my fave with those cool meters... Did you get any close ups of those things?

But your 'outside the plant' shot series is smokin"
08-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by impact Quote
Longer exposures with natural light = teh win.

Kinda like this guy does: Flickr: hoodwatch's Photostream
Thank you for the comments, Impact, and thanks for the link too great shots there!

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Georg, 1a and 3a for me too. I find my flash shots just a tad too flat usually...

3 is my fave with those cool meters... Did you get any close ups of those things?

But your 'outside the plant' shot series is smokin"
Thanks Gus, appreciate it! And yes I liked those meters too:

And here is a better view to the generator