Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Turtle vs. Beaver
Posted By: Steinback, 08-02-2009, 10:42 PM

I spotted this beaver hanging around an old power dam yesterday so I went back today with my long lens and it was still in the area in spite of several anglers casting nearby.

These shots are pressing the limits of my 400mm Soligor. The light was fading so I was handholding at f/6.3 (wide open) and 1/60 to 1/90 of a second at 800 iso. I was also using a Vivitar 285 at full power as fill to bring the shutter speed up a bit.

I knew that there was a snapping turtle in the area but I didn't notice it swimming past the beaver under water until I reviewed these shots on my computer. You can see it at the top of the frame in shots 6 and 7.

Normally I wouldn't have posted the picture of the turtle on its own (missed focus on the head...) but it gives a better idea of what to look for under the water.

Views: 2,905

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
beaver, camera, photo, power, shots, turtle, water