Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
To crop or not to crop
Posted By: Christian, 05-11-2007, 03:03 PM

what do you reckon? I kinda like both for diff reasons.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo     

Views: 2,473
05-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
what do you reckon? I kinda like both for diff reasons.
I much prefer the cropped versions. Is the yellow cast a reflection of the ambient light color? I used to play a lot of gigs "back in the day", and the light just seems a little "sunny" for this kind of venue.

The only other issue - one over which you have no control - is that guitar bands (no matter where in the world) look, dress, move and (usually) play the same stuff. Unfortunately, there just aren't that many jazz clubs anymore.

Seriously, I like the pictures.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-11-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I can't spell and I can't edit. I'm getting old.
05-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Is the yellow cast a reflection of the ambient light color? I used to play a lot of gigs "back in the day", and the light just seems a little "sunny" for this kind of venue.

Jer
Unfortunately, it's the hideous light that is very often seen at small venues. This is better than the RED that I sometimes have to deal with... that's the WORST. Did I mention that I hate the RED light already?

The only good thing about this light is that if you simulate the use of a filter in your B&W conversion you get a strong B&W photograph that you don't have to mess around with much... very clear "light" areas very close to white, and dark areas close to black.

Here's an example of what I mean. This was shot under ugly monochromatic red light and was totally washed out when I saw it in the RAW converter. Using a red filter and very little other processing I was able to get this usable image.

The second one could be effective uncropped if you convert it to B&W and burn out any distracting elements but is probably better cropped.

Just some thoughts...
05-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes there was a silly little yellow light that somebody moved from one guy to the next now and again.

Funnily enough I think I'd left the white balance on 'Flash' mode for nearly everything... oops. I quite like the yellow light.. they look better at full size. I agree that they're prob good for converting to B&W.

I shot it all in Jpeg. Glad I did actually. The one RAW I took would need a lot of work to bring it up to scratch and I wanted to be able to check them out quickly. I'm prob taking more of them at a little festival in Manchester tomorrow.

I'll try to experiment with stuff more. get some interesting compositions. Mine and the band's favourite shot is actually teh one without anyone in expect the venue name and singers shadow :-)

05-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
Unfortunately, it's the hideous light that is very often seen at small venues. This is better than the RED that I sometimes have to deal with... that's the WORST. Did I mention that I hate the RED light already?

Just some thoughts...
Interesting, Nikhil. I played a bunch of gigs on tenor in my day: jazz, blues - and when I needed a real paycheck - rock and roll. A blue cast was the usual ambience - but, hey, we '60's folks just didn't have sunny dispositions of the current generation perhaps.

Anyway, B&W conversions generally are - to me - effective for gigs and muscians, possibly because they focus attention on the interesting shapes (rather than glitter and color) of many musical instruments and the expressions of the cats blowing?

Jer
05-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here's an example of what I mean. This was shot under ugly monochromatic red light and was totally washed out when I saw it in the RAW converter. Using a red filter and very little other processing I was able to get this usable image.
I had a look at your link. Great shots. Nice to hear form somebody with experience in this sort of thing.

The band photography thing isn't serious or anything... but I will be doing a lot of it (mostly the same band)
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Interesting, Nikhil. I played a bunch of gigs on tenor in my day: jazz, blues - and when I needed a real paycheck - rock and roll. A blue cast was the usual ambience - but, hey, we '60's folks just didn't have sunny dispositions of the current generation perhaps.
That's really interesting! Do you still play... either at clubs or for your own relaxation?

Sunny dispositions... hahaha! You're right about the blue cast from the old shows... I'm 28 and I don't remember being to shows with blue lighting but I do remember seeing videos of old shows using that light.

The blue channel is typically the most noisy, so probably that's not a very good light to photograph in.

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, B&W conversions generally are - to me - effective for gigs and muscians, possibly because they focus attention on the interesting shapes (rather than glitter and color) of many musical instruments and the expressions of the cats blowing?
Very well put. I agree completely. It goes to the heart of what makes B&W so effective... emotion and texture.

05-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #8

I had a look at your link. Great shots. Nice to hear form somebody with experience in this sort of thing.

The band photography thing isn't serious or anything... but I will be doing a lot of it (mostly the same band)
Danke! I'm still learning and these are just the few decent ones out of many, many shots. I guess that's the dirty little secret of most photographers... people never see how many shots suck

I think it's really important to enjoy the music of the band you're photographing. If at the end of the night all your photographs are lousy (it's happened to me twice) at least you got to hear some good music.
05-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well they're friends of mine and my girlfriend is their manager. The music's good and I like mixing my favourite things... music, beer, friends and photography! (Must get insurance sorted on my camera)
05-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[QUOTE=Nixarma;56482]That's really interesting! Do you still play... either at clubs or for your own relaxation?
QUOTE]

I still play, but with a stack of keyboards, a drum machine and an acoustic piano for my own amusement; my tenor, alto and flute have been in their cases for years.

I pretend (and it takes pretending with a vengence) that I'm a combination of Jimmy Smith, Larry Goldings, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans and Monk. Of course, actually I'm just a four chord guy - but I have lots of fun.

Jer
05-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #11

Well, James Brown was mostly a one-chord guy and he had a LOT of fun
05-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well they're friends of mine and my girlfriend is their manager. The music's good and I like mixing my favourite things... music, beer, friends and photography! (Must get insurance sorted on my camera)
What a terrific combo (no pun intended). I'm no longer with a band, so my mix now is sailing, beer, friends and photography - but I know exactly what you mean. Throw in the Grampa role, and life is good!

Jer
05-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, James Brown was mostly a one-chord guy and he had a LOT of fun
You bet, and like James: "I Feel Good"

Jer