Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A host of random shots
Posted By: metroeloise, 08-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Views: 1,451
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Stellar PP on the first one, care to share the process?. #2 has a slightly comical aspect in the way that the woman behind him becomes the background as well as making him look tiny. I also like the concept of #3 but find the blurred back leg a little distracting. #4 is cool, #5 I still have a problem with centering and negative space on both sides of the frame. #6 I kind of like but there's something I can't put my finger on. #7 is good as is #8 if you crop on the right or clone out the corner (preferably the crop). #9 is so-so.
08-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Ash

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOOOVE these portraits.
Great work in these, though 1-5 and 8 are my faves.
Awesome.
08-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Simply / beautifully done! Love these type of images. Old school. JIM

08-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
That's a nice set. First shot is interesting.. Thanks for sharing these.
08-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments...

Well.
#1 Began with a wish to find how well different speeds worked with the dancers. How fast how much blur from apparent... She was swaying and reaching up to fix her hair. 1/20 and her edges were blurred. Good detail in her center. PP? Simple grayscale shift with a split tone shadows dark blue/ highlights light brown-tan. Worked on a few versions and this one still had her birthmark, oops.
#2 There are few of this man peaking in and out of the crowd. He is in a wheelchair and goes to many shows. He is so happy watching the more energetic dancers.
#3 Just thought it might work... hugely expensive lens there...
#4 This man was into being a spectacle... I think he was part of the next band... I had to leave. cross processing seemed the correct thing to do...
#5 Different show. Great band. will try other crops. I liked this one. Think of the "rules" (~they're guidelines really )and try to break them when it seems to work. Just my way. Will try over the weekend. (I am sure I did try... I'll see ~maybe I'll post a few variations...)
#6 I think more texture and clearing up her eyes a tad. maybe a bit more split toning? What I like is her look.
#7 One of the better ones trying to get the three of them all lined up! Timing! Another great local band.
#8 Yeah noticed the need to fix the corner too late... Ah... processing so many at a time... Getting better at it! I will go with cloning out rather than cropping. Like where he is in the frame.
#9 Trying a frame to emphasize her bounciness. Didn't work? Will post some great ones of her later on...

In terms of my own compositional development I think #1 is the best. That is full frame no crop.

Also I think every one of these was MF. Wanting to learn the how to do that with the split screen.

Thanks for viewing and for comments.
08-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Care to share your PP step for #9? I see a potential in this kind of PP for other types of photos. Thanks.

08-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Care to share your PP step for #9? I see a potential in this kind of PP for other types of photos. Thanks.
Its a snap!

You start off with an underexposed lacking contrast shot!

But it is true... I was shooting into the setting sun just beyond the building casting the shadow. Now I bring my flash...

But all is not lost. In Lr I cropped in and then 100% fill, crank up the black into 15-ish.... set up strong contrast. 100% clarity and vibrance, turn down saturation, maybe to -80 or so ... sometimes add noise reduction... then I go back to these settings and start toning down the fill effect (it tends to make edging happen ~I started off using presets called things like edgy effect but modified most of them). Sometimes I also do selective desaturations... this one was across the board. But I might have keep the blues up there another day.

Takeaway lesson is that there can be things to do to bleh photos to make them cool. I do it mostly to learn... Learn about the power of Lr and Ps and to learn to take better photos! Nothing is lost since I now have a better eye for effect on sharp properly exposed photos too.

Hope that helps!
Ciao.