Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first attempt at vertical exposure panorama
Posted By: Damn Brit, 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM

All my previous panos have been done with horizontal exposures. Consequently they have not had much height (or depth).
I resolved that today, maybe not stunning scenery but I'm happy with it for a first attempt.
Feel free to double click on it in the gallery and explore it more, there's quite a lot of detail.

Views: 2,596
08-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I stretched that across my dual-monitors and it looks sweet! Yes, the detail is there, even in the downsized copy you had to upload. I wanted to do a vertical for my next pano project but have no decent hills within 3 hours of here. Maybe downtown view would work if I don't get mistaken for a terrorist taking pics of a big building. What stitcher do you use and how many frames? What order did you shoot (horz or vert)? Most important...how's baby and momma?
08-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Igilligan

Damn Gary

I really like where you are going with the vert pano's. I too checked out the larger gallery version. The detail and depth are good. You are right that you got to work on the sky exposure, but that will come.

It says 4 exposures in the gallery comment. What lens, and as Im the guy asked, what pano stitcher are you using?
08-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Alrighty then...I was not smart enough to read the Gallery comments and see it was 4 frames but it did read it to the end now and see it was the DA 55-300mm lens...surprising until I realize you didnt have any near subjects. Totally different than my flatlands stuff with 20mm shots. Forget the sky, its hazy anyway. Nice stuff.

08-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Igilligan

Alrighty then

Alrighty then...

I have ADD so I could not read to the end to see what lens was used... It is a medical condition brought on fistfulls of meth, washed down with gallons of Boones Farm Strawberry Hill....

Still waiting on the Pano answer tho
08-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
It wasn't the meth, but the boones farm that messed you up ... yuck
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I stretched that across my dual-monitors and it looks sweet! Yes, the detail is there, even in the downsized copy you had to upload. I wanted to do a vertical for my next pano project but have no decent hills within 3 hours of here. Maybe downtown view would work if I don't get mistaken for a terrorist taking pics of a big building. What stitcher do you use and how many frames? What order did you shoot (horz or vert)? Most important...how's baby and momma?
Jess and Serafin are doing great, thanks for asking. Thanks for checking it out big, glad to know it looks good. The four exposures were side by side not two level, I assume that's the question you were asking.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I really like where you are going with the vert pano's. I too checked out the larger gallery version. The detail and depth are good. You are right that you got to work on the sky exposure, but that will come.

It says 4 exposures in the gallery comment. What lens, and as Im the guy asked, what pano stitcher are you using?
Thanks Gus, I used Elements 6 to do the stitching, then I use Iphoto to trim the edges and straighten, it's easier than in Elements. Then I take it back to Elements to PP, Levels, sharpening etc.

08-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Nice......
08-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #9

Nice shot, I like this photo and the detail is surprising in the larger image. I'm going to have to work on this, I really like panoramic shots but getting any height on them has been an ongoing issue for me.
08-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Gary, I like this a lot! The vertical dimension really enhances the landscape pano!
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice, Gary.
A great result with the stitching.
08-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That's approaching large format territory.
08-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gary, that is a nice image and the gallery version looks awesome. Thanks for posting it.
08-07-2009, 01:53 AM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Nice......
Thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfsfire Quote
Nice shot, I like this photo and the detail is surprising in the larger image. I'm going to have to work on this, I really like panoramic shots but getting any height on them has been an ongoing issue for me.
Thanks, unfortunately because I live in a hilly area most of my opportunities for panos require horizontal exposures because otherwise there is too much sky and there isn't usually too much of interest in the sky around here.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Gary, I like this a lot! The vertical dimension really enhances the landscape pano!
Thanks Georg.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice, Gary.
A great result with the stitching.
Thanks Ash

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
That's approaching large format territory.
Thank you sir.
08-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Gary, that is a nice image and the gallery version looks awesome. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks Heinrich, I'm glad you liked it and thank you for taking the trouble to look at the gallery version.