Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first B&W conversion - what do you think?
Posted By: Steve Beswick, 08-07-2009, 03:03 PM

I took this photo just outside Charlottesville, VA this spring. I just sort of stared at it for a while, off and on, before I figured out what it needed. I'm still looking for a freeware solution for adding grain, but for now...

Last edited by Steve Beswick; 10-24-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Views: 1,653
08-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It looks a bit contrasty to me Steve, what software did you use?
I had a little play around in Elements, not sure if you would consider this better but I managed to mute the sky some and bring out a little detail in the shadows.
Is it possible the original is a little underexposed?

BTW, who did the nifty fifty end up going to?

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-15-2009 at 11:07 AM.
08-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It looks a bit contrasty to me Steve, what software did you use?
I had a little play around in Elements, not sure if you would consider this better but I managed to mute the sky some and bring out a little detail in the shadows.
Is it possible the original is a little underexposed?

BTW, who did the nifty fifty end up going to?
I actually pushed the contrast quite a bit because I felt it added something to the photo. The original had even less contrast than what you did. I've attached a scaled copy of the original photo to give you an idea. So you think I over did it?

The nifty 50 is leaving tomorrow to Eaglerapids in Idaho. I had contacted gokenin who informed me that he would be on vacation when it would have arrived at his house. I found the list out of date so I put a post in the nifty 50 thread for whoever was interested to contact me. I honestly thought someone would PM me, but nobody ever did and I completely forgot about it until yesterday.

Last edited by Steve Beswick; 10-24-2011 at 08:42 PM.
08-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where is that building Steve?

08-08-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I actually pushed the contrast quite a bit because I felt it added something to the photo. The original had even less contrast than what you did. I've attached a scaled copy of the original photo to give you an idea. So you think I over did it?

The nifty 50 is leaving tomorrow to Eaglerapids in Idaho. I had contacted gokenin who informed me that he would be on vacation when it would have arrived at his house. I found the list out of date so I put a post in the nifty 50 thread for whoever was interested to contact me. I honestly thought someone would PM me, but nobody ever did and I completely forgot about it until yesterday.

Yeah Steve, I do think you over did it. Just my opinion though. If you look at the roof underneath the sign and how dark you made it, that was what I was seeing.

Yeah, the fifty thread is a bit disorganised but it['ll get round the world in the end, we might as well be laid back about it.
08-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Where is that building Steve?
It's at the corner of Richmond Rd. and Louisa Rd. just east of Charlottesville, VA. Why do you ask?
08-08-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Your b/w conversion looks good to me. I don't mind the contrast level at all, but a slight reduction in black level (ACR) would ease up the very black blacks.

c[_]

08-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The conversion's fine, although IMO the original photo could be improved.
A different perspective, less cloudy/blown out sky would help the look of the photo a little more.
But nice effort.
08-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter

It's at the corner of Richmond Rd. and Louisa Rd. just east of Charlottesville, VA. Why do you ask?
I see you have Ontario, Ca as your location and I spent a good bit of time around Ontario, Mira Loma, Alta Loma, Rancho Caucamonga and don't recall seeing that building. I like photographing old buildings. Mira Loma and across the road from the air port is a gold mine of cool old buildings.
08-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see you have Ontario, Ca as your location and I spent a good bit of time around Ontario, Mira Loma, Alta Loma, Rancho Caucamonga and don't recall seeing that building. I like photographing old buildings. Mira Loma and across the road from the air port is a gold mine of cool old buildings.
I think the part near the Airport is called Guasti. You say Mira Loma has old buildings? I thought everything old in Mira Loma had been plowed over for McHouses and McMansions. Any specific area I should look? If you like photographing old buildings you should visit Virginia sometime. They don't get much older in the United States! I think you would like Richmond, Charlottesville, and Lynchburg, especially Lynchburg.
08-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I think the part near the Airport is called Guasti. You say Mira Loma has old buildings? I thought everything old in Mira Loma had been plowed over for McHouses and McMansions. Any specific area I should look? If you like photographing old buildings you should visit Virginia sometime. They don't get much older in the United States! I think you would like Richmond, Charlottesville, and Lynchburg, especially Lynchburg.
The Galeano Winery is still in Mira Loma. Although Don did have to move out some of the old houses. It is tucked in next to the Wally-world distribution warehouse. There is a tasting room there. I'm aware of the old buildings in Va etc. We have a few old ones here to, especially in St. Augustine. That store front in your above image is interesting. It would be something to replicate for a model railroad which is part of the reason it got my attention.
08-09-2009, 02:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Galeano Winery is still in Mira Loma. Although Don did have to move out some of the old houses. It is tucked in next to the Wally-world distribution warehouse. There is a tasting room there. I'm aware of the old buildings in Va etc. We have a few old ones here to, especially in St. Augustine. That store front in your above image is interesting. It would be something to replicate for a model railroad which is part of the reason it got my attention.
I have photos of it from a couple other angles. I'll post them here in the next couple of days. Remind me if I forget!