Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dog Day Afternoon
Posted By: Nixarma, 05-13-2007, 01:27 AM

Was feeling sort of under the weather today... a pity because it was really beautiful outside... so I had to satisfy my urge to shoot by photographing my dog.
Yeah, I hear you.... 'Oh no! Not another dog post!' I promise I won't post more in the future (unless I fall sick again!)

Here's Bella, my three year old Shih-Tzu. She somehow landed at my door flea-infested and emaciated as a pup and hasn't ever left.

Nikhil
Views: 1,483
05-13-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

So cute. I love the B&W conversion there. 3rd is my favorite shot - the look in his eyes is really cute
05-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, James! I think the 3rd is my favourite as well. Her colours make for some nice B&W conversions.
05-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Nice shots! Very moody! I like the 1st and 3rd! Well done!

05-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, Hamid!
05-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots. It looks like a dog with attitude. I love the third photo.

Cheers

Eddie
05-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Eddie,

Thank you! Shih-Tzu's come pre-programmed with a whole lot of attitude. This dog is a real survivor. I found her almost half-dead of dehydration and infested with fleas. Looking at her now you'd never know it. She doesn't stand down to any dog, esp. the larger ones. I live in a great apartment complex where everybody has dogs, some very big ones (I'm talking Newfie and Malamute sizes) and she plays and fights with all of them.

N.

05-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anybody who knows me, knows that I am a sucker for dog pics. Bella is cute as can be. I really like the B&W conversions. They are a bit contrasty, but it works very well here to set a mood. I especially like the last one of here paws.

Nicely done.
05-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hey Alan,

Thanks for the comments. These photographs were taken around mid-afternoon when the sunlight streams through some trees and past some blinds into my living room.

Bella's got patches of brown and white hair on her head and the white is so bright that from most angles incident light just "blows the highlights". That's pretty much what it looks like to the eye (albeit not *quite* as bad) and I have found it very difficult to make an exposure such that her face is evenly lit without blowing the highlights.

The right way to do it would be to use a reflector but she doesn't have the requisite patience

Glad you liked the photograph of her paws. It looks better in the full-size and I am planning on having it printed. I might retake that a few times though.. I am not entirely happy with it.

Nikhil