Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lightning Crashes
Posted By: Maynerd, 08-09-2009, 10:05 PM

There was a pretty impressive lightning storm in the Toronto area tonight, so, after a few shots from the front of the house, my wife and I decided to head down to Lake Ontario to get some keepers.

All taken with the K7 and DA* 16-50, in Bulb mode, with mirror up, remote setting. ISO ranges from 100-400. At longer exposures, the K7 is still noisy as hell, but I'm still happy with the results. I'm also proud of myself for not cheating and just setting the K7 on Movie mode and extracting the frames.

Views: 2,317
08-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
nice shots.

I like #3 the best. Your pictures remind me of the storm that just came through Bismarck, pretty good show. Nothing like sitting back and watching some lightning.
08-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Many great shots there, but #3 is a stunner! Great catch! I played with shooting video of a daytime lightning storm with the K7, and didn't get acceptable results at all so I think you made the right choice there.
08-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

these are really nice shots!

08-10-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

These are great
08-10-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

WOW! they are beautiful!

Just one thing, I've noticed it on Photos taken by the K20 & K7, its a very subtle horizontal banding or semi translucent lines. Not immediately noticeable but I see it only pentax photos inc from my camera.

Not that they bother me, just curious.
08-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks everyone... No 3. is our fav as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
WOW! they are beautiful!

Just one thing, I've noticed it on Photos taken by the K20 & K7, its a very subtle horizontal banding or semi translucent lines. Not immediately noticeable but I see it only pentax photos inc from my camera.

Not that they bother me, just curious.
I'm not sure I've seen anything like what you are referring to... Could it just be the noise patterns?

08-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Yeah, quite the show last night. My wife told me to get the camera out, but we couldn't actually see the lightning from our house.

We're just south of LBPIA. When the storm was approaching, I was watching this one Jazz airplane on approach, he was flying RIGHT TOWARD THE BLACKEST CLOUD I'VE EVER SEEN. There was heavy lighting and I was actually watching expecting to see the plane get hit by lightning. All of a sudden he pulls this hard left turn and got the hell out of dodge. I'm sure there were some full vomit bags on that flight.
08-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah it's a great series and #3 is fantastic. #4 is my favourite by far. My wife heard about the storms and she's from TO. Misses these (and just about everything else from home) since PEI has pretty lame T-storms in comparison.
08-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Yeah, quite the show last night. My wife told me to get the camera out, but we couldn't actually see the lightning from our house.

We're just south of LBPIA. When the storm was approaching, I was watching this one Jazz airplane on approach, he was flying RIGHT TOWARD THE BLACKEST CLOUD I'VE EVER SEEN. There was heavy lighting and I was actually watching expecting to see the plane get hit by lightning. All of a sudden he pulls this hard left turn and got the hell out of dodge. I'm sure there were some full vomit bags on that flight.
I was amazed at how many planes were flying in this storm. We saw about a half dozen heading towards the Island Airport. I had my shutter open for a couple of them hoping to get some illumination so they would stand out against the sky, but alas, not luck.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Yeah it's a great series and #3 is fantastic. #4 is my favourite by far. My wife heard about the storms and she's from TO. Misses these (and just about everything else from home) since PEI has pretty lame T-storms in comparison.
I keep going back and forth between #3 & #4 as my personal fav. The cool thing about #4 is that the lights you see on the left are actually from the Pickering Nuclear Power Plant, which just adds to the ominous tone of the image.
08-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like number 1, as it's got the best lighting placement in the composition.
08-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #12

that 3rd shot is phenomenal just awesome!
08-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

great series. i like the ones with a bit of orange sky the most.
08-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Strong stuff. You got some really impressive ones in there.
Looks okay to me, but maybe you should have stayed at Iso 100
08-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
No 3 is the winner for me, good shots.