Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
365 Self-Portraits: Week Six (Or 1/10th done!)
Posted By: K McCall, 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Every summer one of my friends hosts "The Summer Mix Series," where people can post song mixes for the summer. It's always a great way for me to be exposed to new bands and different types of music, and I always end up with an explosion of inspiration from the songs. So for the first 5 days of this week, I tried to tie my shots to songs I'd recently found. Day 41 I messed up bad because I had misnumbered my shots earlier in the week, and I thought it was Day 42, a big milestone for Douglas Adams fans, so I took a shot with towel, but it was really only Day 41. And then today, I was just so tempted by how beautifully lit my bowl of mirabelles was that I couldn't resist. I'll pick up with the songs tomorrow probably.

Track list (for those who might be interested, most of these can listened to via grooveshark or daytrotter.com*):

Day 36: Andy Hull and the Manchester Orchestra - Where Have You Been
Day 37: Shugo Tokumaru - Rum Hee
Day 38: Jaymay - What About the Bob
Day 39: Jaymay - One May Die So Lonely
Day 40: The Andrew Oldham Orchestra - The Last Time

*daytrotter is a great site for indie musicians where they come in and record 2-5 songs live in the daytrotter studios for free distribution.

A little background: I chose to do a self-portrait project about 2 months after getting my first DSLR, a K100D, to help me improve my camera and post-processing skills and to force myself to use my camera every day. I'm sure there are subconscious reasons in there as well, but basically at the time I lived alone and had no children or pets or anything else to practice on, and a couple of my friends had joined a group on flickr that was just for this project. So for two years now, I've taken a self-portrait every day. I just finished year two on June 30th. I decided to do a third year, but this time I'm trying to do a "matching" shot for each day. Ideally either the subject matter or the mood or the processing or the place or the contours of the composition match the self-portrait. I'm also playing around with my lenses to try to either take two radically different photos with the same lens or to take similar photos with vastly different lenses.

This week I used the DA 12-24, the FA 31/1.8, the FA 43/1.9, the D-FA 100 macro, and the DA*200/2.8.

Day 36: I Can Hardly See What's in Front of Me These Days

Day 37: Rum Hee

Day 38: What ABOUT That Sky?

Day 39: One May Die So Lonely

Day 40: For the Last Time

Day 41: So I Have My Towel, But I'm a Day Early for Day 42

Day 42: Mirabelle

As always, comments, questions, and criticisms are welcome!
Views: 2,035
08-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent. Very creative. Your work is inspiring. I always look forward to seeing your self-portraits.
08-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you very much Frank

Regarding the creative part, though, sometimes I don't feel like I am. I think it's easier for me to be creative with the post-processing part than the picture-taking. It doesn't help that I'm moving in a couple of weeks so my flat is a disaster right now - so everything has to be taken outside.
08-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager

Exquisite work Keitha.
38, 39 and 42 are my faves.
I keep checking in on your flickr site to get a glimpse of your new images - they're all just stunning.
Well, your creativity in PP is what makes these images very special. You're a diva!
Well done again.

08-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i kid you not, when you post on flickr and i see your shots i think to myself "does this girl ever take a bad photo?" ... i'm looking at macro and nature shooting differently because of you, THANKS A LOT
08-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #6

Wow! These are awesome!
08-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #7

always looking forward on your thread....i'm also a fan of your work..great pp maybe you could show some of your workflow on how you achieve these stunning images next time
08-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjburgos Quote
always looking forward on your thread....i'm also a fan of your work..great pp maybe you could show some of your workflow on how you achieve these stunning images next time
Definitely agree! Great pictures, wish I knew how to do the same!

08-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eh, guys, could you point to a particular photo or two? I'd love to explain the process, but generally each photo is treated differently, and all told there are 14 a week, so...
08-12-2009, 06:01 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
Eh, guys, could you point to a particular photo or two? I'd love to explain the process, but generally each photo is treated differently, and all told there are 14 a week, so...
Wow, I was thinking of sending you a pm to ask if you could share your PP techniques. How about 36 and 37(i simply love the feel!)? Thanks very much! I am seriously shedding a tear looking at the photos in your website.

Last edited by scorpioh; 08-12-2009 at 06:07 AM.
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, I just did a "reverse engineering" approach to day 37's self-portrait. I don't know if it's going to make much sense, but basically, every photo in the explanation keeps all the final edits except for the bit I'm talking about. Does anyone want to take a look and tell me if it makes sense or not? I could also explain it linearly, but when I was doing all the jpgs for the front-to-back way, it was really hard to tell impact individual edits had. In fact, if anyone can think of a better way for a lightroom-based-editing approach to be explained, I am all ears!

Here's the explanation: A Scenic World Blog Archive Reverse Engineering: Day 37A Scenic World Blog Archive Reverse Engineering: Day 37
08-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Keitha, excellent images and I really feel like they are all very inpirational (to me at least).
08-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great face, great photos.
08-28-2009, 01:42 AM   #14

Great pictures Keitha! All of them....hard to pick favorites here.....I like 36 and 37 very much but the colors and the mood of 38 is very good as well.
39 is also very good. Sorry if I'm repeating myself but it's more your fault
To me, #39 has a very sad mood......I'm wondering if you have to get in that mood yourself when you do the shot or the PP or if you are all happy and smiling during the entire process of those pictures?

/Tommy
08-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Your shots impress me every time, great concepts and very creative work. Thanks for sharing them.