Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Providence
Posted By: mel, 08-11-2009, 07:06 PM

Following the NYC vacation thread, here's a few from Providence R.I. We're here because of my husband's participation in an energy conference for work, so it's a working vacation basically.

This morning on the Seekonk River.

View from our window on a foggy morning

This area looks like an old industrial area. Many of the units in these buildings appear to have been turned into artists' studios, and there was a sign advertising artist space for rent.

Views: 2,830
08-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Ash

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice travel pics Mel.
The street ones are my faves.
Well done with these.
08-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
Millionth Poster!

Nice shots. like the boat on the water shot. Providence is a nice little city
08-12-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks both. This is a really cool city. I could live here. It has everything a photographer could love: Modern architecture, older architecture, rundown derelict buildings, beautiful scenery, waterbirds, everything. I could definitely live here. I'm hoping to explore more of the rundown stuff as I LOVE shooting decayed buildings. However, with kids in tow it's rather difficult. We drove around a little after dinner yesterday and I hopped out of the car a couple times and shot some and got picked up again after the family drove around the block.

08-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

More nice shots Mel. You have a gift for making those derelict buildings and run down sides of life into interesting and impactful photos.

Mike
08-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nice compositions mel... especially because i grew up in prov, and my folks still live on the 'east side'... i live in cranston now, just a town away....
08-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Thanks both. This is a really cool city. I could live here. It has everything a photographer could love: Modern architecture, older architecture, rundown derelict buildings, beautiful scenery, waterbirds, everything. I could definitely live here.
I had a chance to live in Providence in the late 80s. Great town -- and nice pictures you have of it.

08-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
More nice shots Mel. You have a gift for making those derelict buildings and run down sides of life into interesting and impactful photos.

Thanks Mike. I find myself more drawn to the rundown sections and backsides of buildings much more than the pretty ones. Not sure why really . . .

Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
very nice compositions mel... especially because i grew up in prov, and my folks still live on the 'east side'... i live in cranston now, just a town away....
I drove though there today!! Lucky you to live here. I could spend ages here shooting. Its a beautiful city

QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote
I had a chance to live in Providence in the late 80s. Great town -- and nice pictures you have of it.
Thanks. This is a great town. Growing up on the west coast, where an old building was maybe 100 years old, seeing places established so much earlier than that is really cool.
08-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My favorite is the last one. I really like how the fence is sort of in focus, and doesn't distract from the buildings in the distance. Just works well together for me.
08-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The foggy one remembered me Lovecraft's stories
08-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Very nice - I love the foggy scene...

Jim
08-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I loved the fogginess of the view during and after the rain as well. The windows were filty but fortunately there was one that they didn't have screwed shut and I was able to open it and shoot through without dealing with the grunge.

This is definitely a place I would like to return to and shoot without the kids in tow so I can explore all the other really cool parts I didn't get to thoroughly explore.
08-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Stop in at the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) while you are there.