Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lightening, which white ballence
Posted By: BPT, 08-12-2009, 09:52 AM

One is auto balanced by the computer, one is me and one is by the computer. So for this case and for the future what is the best white balance?

Views: 1,907
08-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #2

It's really just a matter of taste, but I think the first 2 look better than the last one. Shoot in RAW and then tweak the white balance manually in PP software.
08-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I do shoot raw the first one was the white balance done to my taste, the second one was what the camera guessed at and the third one is the one the computer thought was right.
08-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #4

Ahh ok, now I understand. #2 looks like what you see in magazines with that little but of a purple tint to the sky, but your custom setting looks pretty good too. #3...I don't know how to describe why I think #3 looks bad, but your software really dropped the ball with it's autopick on that one.

What was your technique for shooting lightning? I've thought about trying it during a thunderstorm but never really knew how to go about doing it.

08-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
For the third picture I think it might be a bit more natural colouring with the lightening being a bright white light. So I am not sure if the software dropped the ball or it is right but it just doesnt look as pleasing.

for technique I closed down the aperture to about f11-f13 (cant remember at this second) and used bulb mode with a tripod. Since it is dark out you can leave the shutter open for a longer period of time. But still I missed some good ones while the K20D was doing dark frame subtraction, I also missed some good ones when I gave up on a section of sky and turned the camera. A huge amount of luck is involved.

One of my first shots I was a bit of a dumbass and I used f2.8 thinking that I might be able to pull in some more foreground detail. Instead I just really overexposed the lightening. Next time I am going to try using flash to get more foreground and less silhouette. As you can see I am a trial and error guy