Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some assorted vacation photos (Several pics)
Posted By: madmikess, 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Took an 8 day vacation with the family, visited Baltimore, Annapolis, Gettysburg and Hershey. Here are a few from the trip.

7 Foot Knoll Lighthouse in Baltimore.

Jellyfish at the National Aquarium in Baltimore, lens used was A50mm f/2.

Fort McHenry

Stonewall Jackson - Gettysburg

Red-Tailed Hawk from ZooAmerica in Hershey PA

The Wedding Cake in Indian Echo Caverns near Hershey PA

Views: 2,664
08-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've definitely got some keepers there, but that jellyfish shot is superb!
08-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Some great shots there. Looks like a successful vacation for you
08-13-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Another vote for the jelly, print it large and get it on the wall.

08-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

ISO200 on the jelly (thank goodness for EXIF)? WOW!!! Well I can see that I really have to break down and go to the aquarium in Baltimore. Their lighting is much much MUCH better than that at the TN Aquarium in Chattanooga. (which I visted last week and had to shoot at ISO1600 ).

Nice shots all around.

Mike
08-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go the jellyfish!
Brilliant capture.
Well done with it - looks like you had a great time.
08-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
You've definitely got some keepers there, but that jellyfish shot is superb!
Thank you, I had high hopes for some good jellyfish shots when we went to the Aquarium, I'm happy they turned out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
Some great shots there. Looks like a successful vacation for you
Well, it was a good vacation, but it definitely had to end, the kids were driving us nuts.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Another vote for the jelly, print it large and get it on the wall.
I might just do that!

Thank you all for the kind words.

08-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
ISO200 on the jelly (thank goodness for EXIF)? WOW!!! Well I can see that I really have to break down and go to the aquarium in Baltimore. Their lighting is much much MUCH better than that at the TN Aquarium in Chattanooga. (which I visted last week and had to shoot at ISO1600 ).

Nice shots all around.

Mike
I think using the 50mm f/2 lens helped with the jellyfish shots, I was more worried about not getting them in focus since it's a manual lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Go the jellyfish!
Brilliant capture.
Well done with it - looks like you had a great time.
Thank you, we did have a good time and got to see a lot of the sights all around, probably one of our busiest trips as far as places seen.
08-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
I think using the 50mm f/2 lens helped with the jellyfish shots, I was more worried about not getting them in focus since it's a manual lens.
I was using my SMC-A 50mm 1.7 and still had to shoot at ISO1600. Maybe someone at the TN Aquarium just forgot to turn on the lights. I already posted one Jelly HERE. I do have some more shots to post when my internet comes back up at home (went out yesterday evening).

Mike
08-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I was using my SMC-A 50mm 1.7 and still had to shoot at ISO1600. Maybe someone at the TN Aquarium just forgot to turn on the lights. I already posted one Jelly HERE. I do have some more shots to post when my internet comes back up at home (went out yesterday evening).

Mike
Maybe it was that dark background that contributed. The blue background certainly makes it a lot brighter. The whole area where they have the jellyfish at the National Aquarium has very low lighting to almost dark lighting, with the exception of the displays that had their own lighting. I'm going to guess that that black background is the reason. Your picture did turn out really well though, in my opinion. I went back and looked at the exif, I'm not exactly the expert on photography, but I did notice you went with shutter priority on that shot which put your aperture at 2.8. I was using aperture priority to use the largest aperture available with my lens and I let the camera choose the ISO. I ended up with the same shutter speed as you set as well. I dunno I'm still going to guess it had to do with that much darker background.

Last edited by madmikess; 08-13-2009 at 06:42 AM.
08-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
Maybe it was that dark background that contributed. The blue background certainly makes it a lot brighter. The whole area where they have the jellyfish at the National Aquarium has very low lighting to almost dark lighting, with the exception of the displays that had their own lighting. I'm going to guess that that black background is the reason. Your picture did turn out really well though, in my opinion. I went back and looked at the exif, I'm not exactly the expert on photography, but I did notice you went with shutter priority on that shot which put your aperture at 2.8. I was using aperture priority to use the largest aperture available with my lens and I let the camera choose the ISO. I ended up with the same shutter speed as you set as well. I dunno I'm still going to guess it had to do with that much darker background.
I agree completely. The dark background definately hurt. I have one shot in a tank somewhat similar to the one in Baltimore that I will post this evening. As for the exposure mode, I should have tried Av but I've always been more of a Tv guy. LOL When I go up to Baltimore I will give Av a try. I also suspect that the jelly in your shot was a bit farther away than mine was. Mine was maybe 8 inches from my lens while yours appears to have been a bit farther away, thus granting you deeper DOF even at the larger aperture. Lots to think about when you are shooting these things and you thought yours out beautifully!!!

Thanks again,

Mike
08-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very enjoyable series. Looks like you had a terrific vacation.

Jer