Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Praying Mantis (feeding) with FA* 200/4 Macro
Posted By: Marc Langille, 08-13-2009, 07:12 PM

This Wednesday I discovered a Praying Mantis inside an office building on the window of all things! I gently coaxed him onto a container and he quietly sat there, grooming for a good 10-15 minutes. I decided he was coming home to set up shop in my garden....

He was a larger specimen at 4 inches in length, he had no problem taking the trip home in the car with me. He was very interested in hunting as soon as he saw flies and bees around the hummingbird feeders, but the hummingbirds were a bit too big - he watched them with interest... Literally within 30 seconds of setting him on an outdoor umbrella plant, a hapless bee swung by to investigate the camera gear. With blinding reflexes, the bee was captured within the blink of an eye!

Unfortunately for the bee, the Mantis started dining on it - head first… an amazing display of hunting by this elegant predator. I had to move back some lest I only photograph the head, since it’s a relatively large insect for a long macro lens. I eventually got in tighter to photograph the feeding, but it’s not pretty!

Taken with the K10D, ISO 100 or 200, F/11 to F/13, EV 0, standard X-Sync or HSS (last shot). No sharpening! No cropping unless otherwise stated.

Link to EXIF

Crop of the above image to show some details:

A little closer and near the end (pardon the pun)...

Link to EXIF

Still not sure about HSS mode - still experimenting using flash in shaded daylight areas.

I’ll save the less savory shots for another post… too much goop and internals being pulled/moved around... I hope you enjoy these images!

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 08-15-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Views: 5,878
08-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One hundred thumbs up!!!

It's kind of depressing though to see pictures like that. There's no way under the sun *I* could record images of that quality. My best bet is to keep at it for another 25 years - practice makes... well, a lot of pictures.

I agree with Damn Brit - it's not fair if you use the FA* 200mm f4.0 Macro. That's like bringing a gun to a knife fight!!!

Please go rub it in the faces of the Pentax bashers.

08-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You have found a willing model to shot while having lunch ,great macro work detail is excellent

cheers
08-15-2009, 03:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

great series, Marc, and really well done!
08-15-2009, 04:18 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome Marc, these are wonderful pictures! It's hard to pick a favourite, they are all great. Thanks a lot for posting these, it's gives me (another) goal in life (as if I did not have enough goals already....).

08-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Gus said it best ...... Stunning indeed
08-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm sure glad they don't come people eating sizes, great photography.
08-15-2009, 07:35 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You don't play fair, you used the 200.

Awesome work Marc. You know they will often feed from your hand if you offer them a piece of meat.
Call it incentive...

Seriously, thank you Gary and they are amazingly quite cooperative with being handled. The funny part is that this big boy didn't wish to leave the feeders when I picked him up to move him to another area with more activity. It was funny watching him wave his forelegs in anxiety or desire to return to the place he was departing. He definitely knows a good spot to hunt at...

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
My oh my... I see your shots and I just can't stand it

It makes me realize just how far I have to go. Thank you for setting the bar.
Now I am heading to one...
Gus, my honor and I hope the bar issue is resolved...

Thanks again,
Marc

08-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Striking details - the usual story from your macro shots Marc.
Well done and thanks for sharing.
Thank you Ash and the good (goopy) stuff is yet to come!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Another wonderful series Marc and I am still envious of that lens. Thanks for posting them.
My honor Heinrich - hope you are doing well!

QuoteOriginally posted by juanraortiz Quote
Wow. Brilliant pics for a brutal animal, with the leg of the bee in one arm and the body in the other.
Juan, this is the clean stuff...

Thanks to all of you for the very kind words!

Regards,
Marc
08-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Dazzlingly brilliant as usual Marc. Love the images. Praying Mantis' are so COOL! Hopefully we'll have a few around the house this year.

Mike
I agree Mike - they are very cool to watch!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Always special Marc.

Tom G
My honor to share Tom!

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
good lord Marc, those are spectacular to look at.
I just saw my first matis too the other day and ran for my camera and the best shot i could capture rendered it like a far away colorless twig...then i see these images that show the inside of his mouth in a brilliant red...oh man...
Mike, thank you and the best is yet to come! I suspect you'll like my "savory" shots - like pulling taffy...

Regards,
Marc
08-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Well captured Marc.
Stunning detail.
Cheers Neil
08-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Holy cow, Marc!

I've been very busy lately and haven't spent as much time around here as I would like. I'm so glad I clicked on this thread. Incredible images and a great story as well.
08-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

absolutely stunning! well lit, well shot.
08-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Seriously great stuff, Marc. Although I do feel a bit sorry for the bee.

Jer
I know what you mean Jer about the bee...

It's quite a treat to watch such a predator on the hunt though!

Regards,
Marc

QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
awesome :]
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
That's an amazing series, Marc. I'm really loving the crop of the second shot. Plenty of detail and a beautiful exposure!
Andrew, thanks so much for looking and commenting - I'm very pleased with the results. My keeper rate (due to minimal movement) was approaching 70% but sometimes the sudden head movement to watch/evaluate a potential meal did factor in to the shoot.

Regards,
Marc
08-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
One hundred thumbs up!!!

It's kind of depressing though to see pictures like that. There's no way under the sun *I* could record images of that quality. My best bet is to keep at it for another 25 years - practice makes... well, a lot of pictures.

I agree with Damn Brit - it's not fair if you use the FA* 200mm f4.0 Macro. That's like bringing a gun to a knife fight!!!

Please go rub it in the faces of the Pentax bashers.

Hi kcmadr,

Thank you for the very kind words. I've only been practicing part time with macro as of late, so I was very pleased. The last time I did any real macro shoots was over a year ago. Two of those Pentax images will be published in a nature conservation book very soon... (see VLF link in my signature)

I understand and concur about you and Gary's comments on using this lens. Besides, bringing a gun is only half the battle - knowing how to use it is always a good thing and it's a great took in the quiver of lenses!! I also refuse to engage with those bashing a system, even those against Pentax - why not go master the tools you have and enjoy photography? Image quality is what matters for me.

Regards,
Marc

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
You have found a willing model to shot while having lunch ,great macro work detail is excellent

cheers
Thank you Nick! Much appreciated.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 08-18-2009 at 08:54 PM.
08-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #30
MSM
Veteran Member

Great shots, Marc.

I didn't know the Praying Mantis was such a predator. We have all kinds of bees, yellow jackets down here. I need a legion of Praying Mantises!!