Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
I don't hate Snakes,
Posted By: little laker, 08-14-2009, 02:23 AM

however I sure don't like them.

So when I saw this character I was happy to have my Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200mm F2.8 with me.

He was actually a really good model for me, and hardly moved a muscle. I sure wish I had a tripod for the shot though, that almost 4 pound lens is a monster to hand hold., when your sore.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-14-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added imgwide tags
Views: 1,824
08-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice captures with that big ole lens.... Know what you mean about the weight. Thats how i feel after shooting motorcycle racing all day with the BIGMA... LOL

Question... would you rather have this guy or a herd of rats?

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-14-2009 at 04:10 AM.
08-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot of a harmless garter snake Stu! I had one as a "pet" when I was a kid. Name of Houdini as he kept getting out of his cage. One day my mom found him in their bedroom and that was all for Houdini. I think my mom's words to my dad were "either that snake goes or you and Peter can sleep in the shed with the damn snake!" We found a nice wooded area of a local park to set him free in.

NaCl(thanks for the memories, haven't thought of Houdini in years!)H2O
08-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hate snakes love the first shot. JIM

08-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm not fond of them either, I'd of wanted a much longer lens that, to get further away from the bugger.
08-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Question... would you rather have this guy or a herd of rats?

Mike
I would say I'd rather have the snakes Mike, however aren't they both terms for Politicians. Making them both the same thing

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Nice shot of a harmless garter snake Stu! I had one as a "pet" when I was a kid. Name of Houdini as he kept getting out of his cage. One day my mom found him in their bedroom and that was all for Houdini. I think my mom's words to my dad were "either that snake goes or you and Peter can sleep in the shed with the damn snake!" We found a nice wooded area of a local park to set him free in.

I'm glad that you like the pic's Salty,
I know that most snakes around here are harmless, however we do have Rattlers.
This guy was actually pretty big for a garter snake. Where I grew up they were never longer than 12", and this fellow was approaching the 24" mark.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Hate snakes love the first shot. JIM
Thanks Jim

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'm not fond of them either, I'd of wanted a much longer lens that, to get further away from the bugger.
I had a 500mm lens in my car, however it's dreadful optics. So I think it was worth the risk
08-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I would say I'd rather have the snakes Mike, however aren't they both terms for Politicians. Making them both the same thing :lol
Now Stu..... THAT is a terrible thing to say about Snakes OR Rats!

08-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Igilligan

I like the artsy second one

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Harmless yes... but the smelly liquid that comes out of their nether regions when you pick up a wild one, is a smell you never forget!

I used to have a snake collection that included a banded California King, Striped Gopher and Spotted Gopher snakes. And a female garter snake that gave birth to about 20 live babies snakes... they were so small they were able to get out of the cracks in the giant habitat with glass front I had built. The baby snakes crawling all over the house was the end of my snake days...

I like the second photo best because in looks like dream...
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a creep... (excuse the pun).
08-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know Mike, and karma will probably make me pay for it later

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I like the second photo best because in looks like dream...
That's f2.8 on this lens for you
It can be a real curse, with the narrow DOF, however when I nail it the lens amazes me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What a creep... (excuse the pun).
I don't know about that, it never crept an inch while I was there
Unless your talking about me, for photographing a nude sunbather
08-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nicely done Stu! Beautiful little guy (or girl).

This reminds me that I'm due to try the k-7 out on my small herd of snakes. Fortunately, there's 5 of them, so I'm not shy on subject matter.

I don't know Mike. If you every caught a whiff of what a bull snake can produce, you'd swear it was a politician in training.
08-15-2009, 03:33 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Nice work. I agree. Snakes are best shot from a distance. We have some big 'ol snakes down here, including scarey mean/dangerous ones.
08-15-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
I don't know Mike. If you every caught a whiff of what a bull snake can produce, you'd swear it was a politician in training.
Thats true Andrew, but at least the snake is only "making a stink" for self defense... politicians do it because they enjoy it.

Mike