Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Technical Question
Posted By: AmdamJayne, 05-14-2007, 09:05 AM

When we entered the uber humid butterfly room in the conservatory our lenses fogged immediately. I waited a bit to climatize but, ever curious, took the first two shots anyway. Turns out I love the hazy dreamy effect .. pix 1 and 2. Um, should I have exited the room or can the lens-sweat (my Lester K. Dine) actually do damage to the inner works of the lens?

The last two just wanted to share .. I really dig the white background.

Jayne

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 

Views: 1,901
05-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi AJ, I love that second shot! I'll have to try that next time I walk into a uberhumid room. As far as the humidity causing permanent damage, I don't thinks so, not unless you are in a humid environment anyway. In the winter I frequently go from cold dry outsdes to warm humid (conservatory humid) insides and have never had a long lasting problem. I think it has to stay humid for a while for fungus etc to grown inside a lens. The few hours (at the most) inside a butterfly room shouldn't matter. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will speak up and jump up and down on my post.

NaCl(that pansy macro is beautiful)H2O
05-14-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
phew - thanks for your input Salty. Hope you are right, as I am sure you are.
05-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Salty is right AJ. The time you spent inside the room would not be a problem. Just make sure when you leave the room, and before you put the lens away that you wipe off any condensation and dry the lens completely. It will save you from a fungus infection.

05-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jayne,
Have done a similar thing a year ago at the Butterfly House on Vancouver Isl. I did leave my camera (ds) in the back pack for 10 minutes after entering the display, but it still fogged up when I took it out.....but a year later and no apparent issues.

I had been told to carry a plastic zip-lock bag and put the camera in that when moving from one temperature extreme to another and leave the camera in the bag for a few minutes in the new environment, which worked when I used it.

Enjoying your photography by the way.

Cheers
Grant
05-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks David. Thanks Grant. All good advice. I think I'll keep a ziplock in my bag for my travels. I am learning as I go and until yesterday didn't even know of the fungus potential. I am next going to try a Telephoto 75-300mm Sigma APO DG lens. I can see how this LBA is all-consuming. If there's a 12-step programme, I don't wanna know about it. I'm having far too much fun. cheers, AJ
05-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I particularly love the pansy photo where there is interesting dissecting lines with rich purple colour complimenting well with the yellow.

This is a shot between being an abstract and a macro. A photo to ponder about ...

Cheers

05-16-2007, 12:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you roentarre! I love the faces on pansies. They smile back. I think I saw your POTD abstract winner yesterday .. did I not? It was groovy. Jayne