Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Off Camera Flash - First Try
Posted By: BaggyG, 08-14-2009, 11:56 PM

So I was very excited to get my radio triggers in the post yesterday. So I grabbed my gear and the kids and went to "One Tree Hill" near where I live.

While it was a very blustery day, I would not be denied my attempts at taking some portraits.

So here they are – my fist attempt at off camera flash using my 360FGZ. I tried to use the sun as a light source and ballance it with the falsh as I had read in the Strobist Lighting 101.

All of them were at 1/180 f4 using Sigma 70-300 DL with polarizer. Once I got the flash distance and output right I used the exposure compensation on the camera to try to get the exposure reasonable.

(I don't like the shadow on the face but not sure what to do about it )

I think if I had another low power flash in front of the camera the result might be better. Unfortunatly I only have one flash and the popup on the *ist DS doesn't popup with the transmitter on .

Comments or suggestions welcome.

BG
Views: 1,346
08-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

Great stuff! I did the boring umbrella plus hair light for my first try
You probably overdid a bit with balancing though as second picture shows. You *might* try using shadow/highlights tool in PS or curves in Photoshop to bring up shadow areas.
Then... composition in the first picture looks kinda weird to me. It'd be reasonable to leave more space to the left of her, might even sacrifice the space to the right (so that she's effectively on the right side of the picture. That'd make more sense to me.

Then, you have dust on your sensor. 2nd picture Your son ain't happy with that

Then, the last pic. They are staring at the empty space to the left of the picture that does not exist... This pic would probably look great if oriented horizontally, so that there's some more space to the left of them (even if it's just skies). Besides, you cut off your daughter's legs

That's what I can think of for now...
Bo.
08-15-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great 1st attempt ,I would use reflectors or more flash units just keep shooting

cheers
08-15-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Good stuff, watch the shadows, fill with reflectors.

08-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice start - others have good suggestions.
Direct flash light appears harsh, even with diffusers, hence the use of umbrellas and reflectors.

Keep at it - it's such a skill in itself but the learning process is fun.