Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Another 'one day's photos' thread - Street photography
Posted By: CWyatt, 08-15-2009, 01:40 AM

As I've found more of my time taken up with photography, I've found that on some days I can go out and get several 'keepers', while on others I get very few - or none. My conclusion is that what matters more than any external conditions is your own frame of mind - your feeling/intuition and application of skill at any given time. Sometimes I can feel I just won't take any really good photos, while on others I can shoot several in quick secession, do you guys get this as well?

For those of you who like street photography, here are a few taken yesterday here in Wellington, New Zealand. Keen to see what you think.

Last edited by CWyatt; 03-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Views: 1,678
08-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Second five... 'sepia' toned photos are full colour.

08-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh and I thought I'd add one other photo I just re-edited I took the other day. It's at a lookout looking over Wellington. I was there about 9am to walking through with my camera and a small pre-school group turned up. Anyway I spotted these two boys holding hands and got them against the the 'Brother' company building downtown. Not my best photo, but an OK one nonetheless.

08-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Your shots are well seen.

I wonder how long do you have to wait at the scene, for the various components of the image to come into the right places.

08-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with you, CWyatt, that frame of mind has much to do with success in a day's shooting. Some days I go out shooting just out of a vague sense of obligation, and seldom get anything decent, unless my mindset changes. Of course, sometimes I go out quite motivated, and still end up with zero!

I'm generally not much of a fan of street photography - to me it looks like most "street photographers" simply point their cameras at a crowded street corner and snap away. Your shots, OTOH, are often interesting, composed, and artistic, which makes them a joy for me to scrutinize.
09-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Camus,

thanks for sharing these!

Here are a few responses:

#2 from the first set: That looks so seventies! In a good way.

#2 from the second set: That's great. That's a "decisive moment" capture for me. It's great how he looks back and is just about the hit the street with his left foot. I'd like it less if the foot had already hit the street. And the pattern in front of him is an important part of the whole image.

#3 from the second set: Love how you made the adults unimportant by cutting them off. Fantastic silhouettes. And I like the directions of the lines on the ground. They create a sense of depth and also add tension by not being aligned with the implied movement of the group.

Last one from the second set: Very classic, very strong. I like the deep blacks and how the shadows on the ground create a sense of the people following a groove (i.e., not being individualistic).

Thanks again, for sharing.

Last edited by Class A; 09-22-2009 at 06:17 AM.
09-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A very nice series - indeed your comments are valid. Frame of mind is a very important component.

09-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments.

Some really interesting ones there, ClassA. Brought up some things I didn't see in the photos myself - but am happy you did. Sometimes I like an image and am not 100% sure why - there are some really interesting points you raised that made me look at the images in a different light. A good reason for 3rd party critique!
09-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Good street shots Camus. The high contrast is right up my alley.

3rd shot from the 2nd set looks great.

Sometimes I feel I won't take any good photos on a day out and then it only takes a few half decent shots to get the confidence up a little. The shots are going to look better on the Pentax lcd screen as opposed to a giant computer screen, so confidence is easily lifted.
09-23-2009, 04:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Great series. There is a weekly challenge going on that is right up your alley [https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/74301...1-streets.html]. I suggest you pick your favorite and enter it.

Tim
09-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a very compelling set of photos. It looks like you know how to time the moment.

Jer