Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
B&W or Color
Posted By: OrenMc, 08-15-2009, 01:32 PM

Just want a little critque on these. First of all, is it good subject matter and composition? Second, does B&W or color work best? Third, Landscape or Portrait?
DA16-50

FA77

Last edited by OrenMc; 08-15-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Views: 1,377
08-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I like the vertical better since there's not a lot going on in the background. Of course that's interesting too. As far as color vs. b&w, I prefer the b&w, but only by a slim margin.

I like these where there isn't an obvious answer.
08-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
B&W is better because the sharp clear black and white draws me directly to the postings. While the color also draws me to the postings, it doesn't do it as quick because the color on the background tends to shine a bit. Plus I can look around in the background of the color one, while the B&W seems empty in the background so there isn't much to look for and you stare directly at the postings because the sharpness is begging for attention. Hope you understood what I was trying to say , I'm not a really good explainer.
08-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

B&W and the second one. JIM

08-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the responses.
If I am understanding this right, a larger DOF to bring it all into focus?
As the postings are the main subject, I did want attention drawn there. But I did want the background to blend a bit. My thought are #1 achieves. At the same I did get more of a feel from the background while I was standing there but now looking at the background it is sot of bland.

I am trying to teach myself B&W so you will probably see more and more postings as such.

Last edited by OrenMc; 08-15-2009 at 06:51 PM.
08-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think definitely b/w in portrait mode. That is the most pleasing to my eye.
08-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

I like the bw in portrait orientation as well.
08-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a very busy composition with a lot going on.

Unlike the other folk here, I prefere the portrait colour version, the doorway pillars on the right echo the last poster colour.

But my eye keeps getting drawn the the "MR T" character on the browny red poster, which is totally lost in the B&W version.

08-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Banned

I prefer the B&W. but I am biased.
08-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I also prefer the B&W, landscape orientation. Nice shot.

The B&W keeps the attention on the posters - with color, it is too busy and the shot begins to loose my interest.
08-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

oh dear, just me then.
08-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
oh dear, just me then.
I was going to add earlier that it really boils down to personal preference. I see I probably got the attention of some B&W lovers. If I were to pick I would go with the first shot. To me it adds a few more points of interest while focusing on the postings.

BTW, I do want to thank you all for the responses. I do appreciate the time you took to answer and to try to offer help. I think I asked this before in another thread but does anyone have a suggestion for some reading on B&W.

kind regards
Oren
08-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I was going to add earlier that it really boils down to personal preference. I see I probably got the attention of some B&W lovers. If I were to pick I would go with the first shot. To me it adds a few more points of interest while focusing on the postings.

BTW, I do want to thank you all for the responses. I do appreciate the time you took to answer and to try to offer help. I think I asked this before in another thread but does anyone have a suggestion for some reading on B&W.

kind regards
Oren
You might check out Mastering black and white digital photography. by Michael Freeman. The thing that I've noticed is that so many publications tend to speak only in terms of "Photoshop" as if no other Processing programs exist. This book is no exception. However it does cover some basics that you may transfer to any processing program.

It does get into some quite technical stuff and If you read it through you will gain a lot of photographic knowledge!

If you Google it you will find it on Amazon.com

Last edited by jimH; 08-16-2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Add Thought