Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fog
Posted By: innershell, 08-15-2009, 09:46 PM

Yesterday, the weatherman called for frost and freezing overnight lows. I had an inkling that a thick fog might roll in to blanket the city. Amanda had classes at 8AM on Saturday so when she woke up and noticed the fog, she woke me up too knowing I would be excited to take photos in the fog. Here are my results. Enjoy!

Adding 2 more photos after the original post...

Last edited by innershell; 08-15-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Views: 3,165
08-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #2

Awesome captures. The first one is great and really reminds me of the movie The Mist, based off of the short story by Stephen King (most shocking movie ending of all time by the way). The second one is also good. I especially like the glow from the center of the frame. If only the pic didn't have the sensor dust in the upper middle, and near the power line pole. Easily cloned out though. The last one is really cool, and my favourite. The rider appears to have the entire road ahead of him to himself, as he awaits patiently for the light to turn green.
08-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. My laptop monitor screen is so dirty that I can't tell if something is sensor dust or stains on my monitor.

HAHAHHAAHA ... I just noticed that the graffiti on the train says VaG***"
08-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Fog adds so much drama to even the most ordinary scene.

08-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see quite a few fog shots not having much impact, but yours are quite outstanding, Melvin.
Your PP work is impeccable also.
Well done.
08-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I love number 3.

Riding is a solitary mode of transportation and this photo really says volumes to me.

BG
08-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback everybody. Glad you like them.

QuoteOriginally posted by BaggyG Quote
I love number 3.

Riding is a solitary mode of transportation and this photo really says volumes to me.

BG
You sound like a rider. It speaks volume to me too and the empty road ahead this early in the morning makes it too tempting to just crack it wide open for 3 seconds.
08-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
You sound like a rider. It speaks volume to me too and the empty road ahead this early in the morning makes it too tempting to just crack it wide open for 3 seconds.
I used to be until I 'cracked' it for just a little too long. Wiped out the bike and almost myself. And now my wife won't let me get another bike for some reason

BG

08-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep, shot 3 the one for me.
08-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work. And like the others, #3 is my favorite.
08-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Black Magic: Thank you. I have seen The Mist and it was sort of the effect I was hoping to capture with a thick fog. Another movie in my head during these captures was The Fog. :P

@Damn Brit: I would never have captured any of these scenes on their own. The fog is a definite drama-queen.

@Ash: Thanks. I have never seen anybody else's fog shots, but I'm sure there's some great ones out there.

@BaggyG: 'Cracking' it open for more than 3 seconds would put me way past 180km/h. I can't imagine how fast you were going before your spill. But you lived to be a photographer now. Welcome to the forum and glad to have you on-board.

@kerrowdown & @xs400: On my website, #3 was also posted as my favorite. Makes you wonder what the rider is thinking about the road ahead. Allows you to create a plot, which makes a picture truly effective. All the other fog shots look cool, but do not have a subject with plot-potential.