Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Same Shot Three Different Perspectives
Posted By: Jimbo, 08-16-2009, 12:16 PM

Sho these early this morning. Moved up closer to the water to see what a different set up would do for the shot. Can not make up my mind which one I prefer. Cheers JIM

Views: 3,190
08-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I like #1 with #3 a very close second...and I think #3 might look neat in B&W...

08-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
1 lets the mountains breath and has the most direct composition.

#2 crops the mountains = bad news.

#3 has the clouds pouring over the mountains in a nice way and also has the best reflection of mountain and clouds in the water. I like the lower perspective. It would be the winner, but it also crops the mountains too much.
Thank you going over each image and makes totally sense. Will help me the next time on setting up this shot. Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
I like #1 with #3 a very close second...and I think #3 might look neat in B&W...
Thank you Judd. I may give that a try. JIM
08-17-2009, 05:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I leaning towards #3 as my fav...I like the use of the rocks as foreground interest and the overall composition of the image. Nice shot Jimbo
08-17-2009, 06:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oe and two joined together

08-17-2009, 06:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I leaning towards #3 as my fav...I like the use of the rocks as foreground interest and the overall composition of the image. Nice shot Jimbo
Thanks Daz. Appreciate you commenting. JIM

QuoteQuote:
oe and two joined together
I may try that one Taff. Cheers JIM
08-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

1 - Nice, but I don't like the perspective. It's almost like you're looking down at the water.

2 - PP is more crisp, but the outer edges are cropped making things too tight.

3 - Much better! Same crisp PP as #2 with a better perspective. More interesting rocks in the foreground would make it a more striking image.

I feel the key to shooting these types of shots is to get the camera as low as you possibly can and have an interesting object in the foreground that leads the eye into the rest of the frame.
08-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Well, guess I am going to disagree with everyone. Each shot has it's good points yet...
#3 is my pick!
The rocks, though not interesting in and of themselves, anchor the photo and provide an increased feeling of "depth" to the photo that the 1st lacks. The 2nd photo cramps the skyline visibly and has too much foreground.

Mike
You're not the only one, Mike. I prefer #3 as well. The rocks give something interesting in the foreground (hey what can I say, I'm a geologist by education and I *like* rocks! ), and I think it balances the picture out a bit better.

Jim

08-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
1 - Nice, but I don't like the perspective. It's almost like you're looking down at the water.

2 - PP is more crisp, but the outer edges are cropped making things too tight.

3 - Much better! Same crisp PP as #2 with a better perspective. More interesting rocks in the foreground would make it a more striking image.

I feel the key to shooting these types of shots is to get the camera as low as you possibly can and have an interesting object in the foreground that leads the eye into the rest of the frame.
Now your talking. Thanks for reviewing each of the images Max.. I have been trying to get lower on these wide angle shots and purposely shot these three at different height levels. I was shooting down on #1 and see your point on #2. JIM

QuoteQuote:
You're not the only one, Mike. I prefer #3 as well. The rocks give something interesting in the foreground (hey what can I say, I'm a geologist by education and I *like* rocks! ), and I think it balances the picture out a bit better.
Thank you Jim. Great to see others like #3 too. JIM
08-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If you want to get the rocks into it and the sky, you're gonna have to go to 10mm and portrait, but I think that might too much - your first composition is the best. The rocks aren't even that sharp in the third shot.
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #25
Forum Member

I think both 1 and 3 are very nice, but prefer 3 for the same reasons as Mike and Max: the rocks might not be interesting in themselves but help anchor the shot, something I find helps a lot with most if not all WA shots, and the perspective is better.

Very good shots both of them, though!

Thomas
08-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:

If you want to get the rocks into it and the sky, you're gonna have to go to 10mm and portrait, but I think that might too much - your first composition is the best. The rocks aren't even that sharp in the third shot.
Appreciate you looking and commenting. The angle of the sun coming up was hard on the rocks. Maybe try this one late in the day, with the right sky and maybe a Portrait style panorama. [thinking five shots] Its fun to play around and then make a mental note on the comments here for the next time around. JIM

QuoteQuote:
think both 1 and 3 are very nice, but prefer 3 for the same reasons as Mike and Max: the rocks might not be interesting in themselves but help anchor the shot, something I find helps a lot with most if not all WA shots, and the perspective is better.

Very good shots both of them, though!

Thomas
Thank you Thomas. JIM