Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Night Time View of Oakland with a Layer of Fog
Posted By: Damn Brit, 08-17-2009, 01:14 AM

Attempt at a night time panorama, this was seven vertical 30 second exposures stitched together.
It was very dark and hard to see what I was doing. If you look at the gallery version and double click to explore you'll see some perspective distortion.

Views: 3,315
08-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot. have yet to try a night pano, but i can see that the night can produce some fabulous results.

08-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want to call it smog, er, I mean fog we'll let ya.
You've been putting out some pretty nice pano's of late.

Last edited by OrenMc; 08-19-2009 at 02:13 AM.
08-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gary, that is a very nice pano. Outside of some moon shots I have not done any night photography in years so maybe it's time... Hope your next weekend turns out better.
08-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #19

Very impressive, Gary. 30 sec. exposer for 7 shots in row? That's a lot of patience my friend. I would probably fall as sleep by halfway......

cheers
cj

08-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Gary... Dude, it's freakin' fantastic! I learned to fly there out of OAK, and flying around the bay area at night is just a magical feeling (Ha! "magical feeling," I'm all touchy-feely all of a sudden ) - which your pano recreates for me... The distorted houses don't bother me, I just assume an earthquake or a landslide (post fire) made 'em that way ...

The jpeg compression on that full size image is pretty horrendous, but that's probably to keep the shot within the forum's limitations, and also a good theft deterrent, so if I want a copy I have to buy the print from you (tempting actually!)

Nice!
08-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #21
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
The gallery version show tremendously more detail that this version can't due to size restraints. It's as though I'm standing on the hill with you just scanning across the horizon in a very relaxed manner. I love to travel but you just saved me all the expense and jet-lag with one great pano. Great stitch job - you should have been a tailor.
Thanks Jeff, I take your comments as a big compliment.
QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
Beautiful. The smog add a nice feeling of un-real...

I wish we had some hills around here...
Thank you, it is nice to have the hills, it means every few steps there can be a completely different perspective.

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Nice. Very nice. I love fog.

I took some vertical shots of the NYC skyline from the New Jersey side with the intention of stitching them together in a pano but have yet to get up the nerve . . .

Insurance first. Pano second.
Thanks Mel, yes, get your priorities straight, then as soon as you've dealt with the paperwork, get stitching, I can't wait to see the result.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
Great shot. have yet to try a night pano, but i can see that the night can produce some fabulous results.
Thanks Scott, it's certainly nice and peaceful.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
If you ant to call it smog, er, I mean fog we'll let ya.
You've been putting out some pretty nice pano's of late.
Thanks Oren, there is quite a lot of smoke from the fires mixed in at the moment.
08-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #22
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Gary, that is a very nice pano. Outside of some moon shots I have not done any night photography in years so maybe it's time... Hope your next weekend turns out better.
Thanks for your kind words Heinrich, yes you should get out there at night, it's peaceful and relaxing.

QuoteOriginally posted by artistcjconrad Quote
Very impressive, Gary. 30 sec. exposer for 7 shots in row? That's a lot of patience my friend. I would probably fall as sleep by halfway......

cheers
cj
Thanks CJ, as for the patience, I was able to put the tripod up right where I parked so I just put the tailgate up, sat down and sipped my coffee while I was waiting.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Gary... Dude, it's freakin' fantastic! I learned to fly there out of OAK, and flying around the bay area at night is just a magical feeling (Ha! "magical feeling," I'm all touchy-feely all of a sudden ) - which your pano recreates for me... The distorted houses don't bother me, I just assume an earthquake or a landslide (post fire) made 'em that way ...

The jpeg compression on that full size image is pretty horrendous, but that's probably to keep the shot within the forum's limitations, and also a good theft deterrent, so if I want a copy I have to buy the print from you (tempting actually!)

Nice!
Thanks Josh, glad it gave you some memories. There were actually quite a few chopper trails that I cloned out. You know how busy it gets.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-19-2009 at 12:00 AM.
08-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I like it Gary! You've done really well. Obviously Oakland is in a sort of a hollow to catch that mist.

Well done with the panning and stitching - what app did you use but am always interested in new apps? (I've been using Hugin and am impressed with its ability to adjust for exposure as well as multiple stitch points)

Cheers
08-19-2009, 03:13 AM   #24
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
I like it Gary! You've done really well. Obviously Oakland is in a sort of a hollow to catch that mist.

Well done with the panning and stitching - what app did you use but am always interested in new apps? (I've been using Hugin and am impressed with its ability to adjust for exposure as well as multiple stitch points)

Cheers
Thanks Chris, I just use Elements 6 for the stitching. I average out the exposure before shooting and it's been a pretty successful technique for me so far.
08-19-2009, 03:26 AM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, I haven't seen this one yet Gary, but I sure do like the effort you put into it.
Well done with it.
An epic panorama.
08-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #26
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Wow, I haven't seen this one yet Gary, but I sure do like the effort you put into it.
Well done with it.
An epic panorama.
Cheers Ash.
08-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I like it , the glow of the light of the city and haze really work well.