Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 panoramas in 1 evening and I'm not kidding
Posted By: artistcjconrad, 08-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Some of you might already know my quest for the lake, here is the story again. There's a lake that's visible from the highway 159 in Quebec but, I can't get to it because of the dense forest and high cliffs. Now it's been four days since I've been trying. Last evening coming back home from my failed quest again, these are the sceneries caught my eyes very close to my home. First three were quick pano shots from the side of the highway. Thankfully, my camera is always set to manual. First one is six vartical shots, the second and third are four horizontal each. I could tell the sky was going to be gorgeous by late evening. So, for the third one I went to a location I scouted before and waited for the right light. The last one was taken with seven vertical shots. All of them were stitched together in CS3 with very little PP. They were shot with the K20D and the kit lens.
Well, I guess my quest for the lake didn't go to a total waste.
Thanks for looking and enjoy. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Regards
cj

Last edited by artistcjconrad; 09-24-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Views: 3,580
08-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Urs
Pentaxian

Wow great shots! Love the last 2 best! Thanks for sharing cj!
08-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Very nicely done CJ.
Panoramas give a great sense of satisfaction when they come together don't they?
08-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urs Quote
Wow great shots! Love the last 2 best! Thanks for sharing cj!
Thanks for the complement, always happy to share.

cj

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Very nicely done CJ.
Panoramas give a great sense of satisfaction when they come together don't they?
Thanks gary. Yes indeed, they are very satisfying. I think it's been almost 5 years since I took some panos again.

cj

08-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Very nicely done CJ.

Nice shots! Are these hay bales?

08-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great panoramas! I really like the first one a lot for some reason because of the emptiness and lines of the grass. It somehow brought back memories of this world war 2 game that I played back then, I forgot the name of it but it was on the Gamecube.
08-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

>> Some of you might already know my quest for the lake, here is the story again. There's a
>> lake that's visible from the highway 159 in Quebec but, I can't get to it because of the
>> dense forest and high cliffs.

I just mapped the route for you. See the following map:

from: Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade to: Saint-Roch-de-Mékinac - Google Maps

Somewhere on here is the lake for which you are looking. It could be a river. Judging from the photo, you are looking near due west from the highway. One possibility is: Lac-ŕ-la-Tortue. It might also be the Saint-Maurice River. Finally, I suppose that it could be the Saint Lawrence River.

Where exactly on 159 are you seeing this lake?

EDIT: Wow. Now that I look at the satellite photos of this area I see it is chock full of lakes, partic. Up at the northern end of 159. There are some lakes that appear to be in areas that are quite rocky among clifss... particulary in the are just north and west of Rue Petite - Mčkinac.

See: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Rue+Petite+-+M%C3%A8kinac,+Saint-Tite,+M...KcKr-w&split=0

Change to satellite view and also check out terrain view.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 08-17-2009 at 05:45 PM.
08-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sfdealer Quote

Nice shots! Are these hay bales?

Thanks and yes, they are hay bales.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Great panoramas! I really like the first one a lot for some reason because of the emptiness and lines of the grass. It somehow brought back memories of this world war 2 game that I played back then, I forgot the name of it but it was on the Gamecube.
Thanks LeDave.

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
>> Some of you might already know my quest for the lake, here is the story again. There's a
>> lake that's visible from the highway 159 in Quebec but, I can't get to it because of the
>> dense forest and high cliffs.

I just mapped the route for you. See the following map:

from: Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade to: Saint-Roch-de-Mékinac - Google Maps

Somewhere on here is the lake for which you are looking. It could be a river. Judging from the photo, you are looking near due west from the highway. One possibility is: Lac-ŕ-la-Tortue. It might also be the Saint-Maurice River. Finally, I suppose that it could be the Saint Lawrence River.

Where exactly on 159 are you seeing this lake?

EDIT: Wow. Now that I look at the satellite photos of this area I see it is chock full of lakes, partic. Up at the northern end of 159. There are some lakes that appear to be in areas that are quite rocky among clifss... particulary in the are just north and west of Rue Petite - Mčkinac.

See: Rue Petite - Mčkinac, Saint-Tite, Mékinac Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Canada - Google Maps

Change to satellite view and also check out terrain view.

woof!
Well, I couldn't find the names from the sat. pictures. If you go from St-Tite toward St-Roch-de-Mekinac, you'll see there are two long lakes on the right side of the highway. They are connected with streams I'm guessing. I could go where the stream starts from the first lake but no further. To get a real good shot, you have to be some where in the middle. I'll keep trying though, I'm not stopping until I get there.
08-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

The last two are cool.
08-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice CJ.
Well done with the last 2 especially.
They look like they'd make great wall panos.
08-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done. That was a lot of work for one night.
08-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #12

I love the photos again. You don't see the wrapped big bales down in our part of the world, so it is nice to have something different added in. I really like the last two--I would print large and hang those two somewhere for all to see. CONGRATS!
08-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
The last two are cool.
Thanks for your comment

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Very nice CJ.
Well done with the last 2 especially.
They look like they'd make great wall panos.
Thanks Ash! Maybe I'll put my large format plotter/printer to work finally Well, if I can figure that thing out. I got an hp Z2100.

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
Nicely done. That was a lot of work for one night.
The first three were the fastest pano I ever took. I just wanted to take the shots as quickly as possible and then go set up for the last, I wanted to take my time with that one.

QuoteOriginally posted by MO-bran Quote
I love the photos again. You don't see the wrapped big bales down in our part of the world, so it is nice to have something different added in. I really like the last two--I would print large and hang those two somewhere for all to see. CONGRATS!
Thanks MO-bran, much appreciated. Yes, my wife also wants me to print those for her.
08-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice panos! I like #3 for the mist and the light on the flowers. #4, of course, catches the eye right away, and is also great!
08-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #15

Awesome pano's, they are all great, interesting to see the hay bales covered for a change, that's new and might I add smart for them to do, moldy hay serves no purpose. The last two are my favorites, the 3rd in particular because of it's awesome coloring. Earth is such a beautiful place for us to be able to call home and you captured that exceedingly well in that shot in my humble opinion.