Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More mouths to feed
Posted By: daacon, 08-23-2009, 06:19 AM

This year we placed a small bird feeder in our back yard. Did not expect too much as we live pretty close to a wetlands and the bugs are a plenty. The initial brand of bird seed would take about a week for them to go through. Early last week, my wife bought a new brand and I think it's laced with cocaine or something. When we first tried it it took about 4 hours for them to go through it. Then the word must of got out and I can fill this one up 4 or 5 times a day now. I gave up on that after a few days and now just do once a day and let the early bird get the feed.

Here are a few shots of them taking the last few seeds and wondering when the fill up will happen again.

I have my Bigma and tripod on the deck. They stiill scatter when I open the door - but they are getting better now at comming back soon as they almost trust me or at least their hunger / greed is getting stonger than their fear I have seen as many as 5 on there - that is pretty crowded.

Click on image for larger view

Views: 1,419
08-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know what you mean Dave. I seem to have gone through tons of the stuff this summer. On the other hand it provides some photo oportunities you just don't get otherwise. Here's a couple of Sparrows debating who is next in line for the feeder.

Tom G
08-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series Dave - the Bigma comes through quite well there.
And Tom, your capture is just brilliant.
A great example of an ordinary subject brought to life in an interesting way.
08-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Trust you Dave to get your missus to lace the feed LOL still to capture you must feed

cheers

08-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice group shots, Dave. It's nice to know you've got the hottest new spot in town.

What plant produces the purple leaves surrounding the feeder? The give the shots a special look.

Jer
08-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I know what you mean Dave. I seem to have gone through tons of the stuff this summer. On the other hand it provides some photo oportunities you just don't get otherwise. Here's a couple of Sparrows debating who is next in line for the feeder.
Tom G
Thanks Tom that is a great shot ! The birds here are a little more friendly it appears. There are a couple that will scoop the seed on the ground. I have enough on the gfround now to fill the feeder again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice series Dave - the Bigma comes through quite well there.
And Tom, your capture is just brilliant.
A great example of an ordinary subject brought to life in an interesting way.
Thanks Ash I agree on Tom's shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Trust you Dave to get your missus to lace the feed LOL still to capture you must feed
cheers
Thanks Simon - I know why not lace my feed

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice group shots, Dave. It's nice to know you've got the hottest new spot in town.
What plant produces the purple leaves surrounding the feeder? The give the shots a special look.
Jer
Thanks Jer - well I don't know what it is called. It is a Tree in early spring / summer the leaves are green and then they trun purple. Not sure what species it is.
08-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Nice shots Dave, I like how the leaves frame the feeder... very cool.