Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The old M50mm 1.7 is not to bad.
Posted By: mingdie, 05-17-2007, 03:41 AM

Went to my boy’s waterpolo game and bought along my camera and M50mm 1.7 lens I used at work as I did not want to leave it in the car. The light in the pool is terrible bad and I have never bothered to take any photos before. Well the M50 may not be the right lens but I gave it a go. What do you think? I put the ISO up to 800 and the aperture to f 2.8 which gave me between 1/80 to 1/160.

Cheers

Eddie
Views: 1,627
05-17-2007, 06:08 AM   #2

Not bad! Shooting in an indoor natatorium is very difficult to get right. The speed of this lens enabled you to catch some decent action shots in poor lighting. Way to go.
05-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those came out much better than I would have thought... very difficult lighting!

Good job!

Carol
05-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For using the "wrong" lens, I'd say you did just fine. The third one with the goalie just about to stop the ball is wonderful, perfect timing. If you cropped out some of the distracting lights in the upper background and maybe the right-most player, and lightened it up just a wee bit, it'd be even better. Nice job!

Julie

05-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tough shots

Well done Eddie,
A good test of a photographer is how indoor low-light shots are managed (I'm still working on that one!). But you've got the goods. The lens is a great performer, but it needs skillful hands to make it work.

QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
Went to my boy’s waterpolo game and bought along my camera and M50mm 1.7 lens I used at work as I did not want to leave it in the car. The light in the pool is terrible bad and I have never bothered to take any photos before. Well the M50 may not be the right lens but I gave it a go. What do you think? I put the ISO up to 800 and the aperture to f 2.8 which gave me between 1/80 to 1/160.

Cheers

Eddie
05-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments. This have taught me a lesson that even if I think it is hopeless always try, you may be pleasently surpriced.
Julie, I agree about the third shot and I still got some more work to do on them. I have one more I liked but I have to clone out the cone.

Cheers

Eddie
05-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great shots in those conditions! I'm still trying to figure out how to use mine in those dark/inconsistent lighting situations and find myself using 1600 more often.

05-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Alvin
I used 800 on these which did not produce to much noise. It gave me just enough shutter speed.

Cheers

Eddie
05-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice, Eddie. It takes guts to use that 50mm 1.7 in that lighting. I myself have given up on the lens. Too frustrating for me. I have such trouble with the focusing, although I have gotten some fine shots with it. It is an excellent lens in the right hands. I'll be looking for more of your M shots. Thanks for sharing these. Freddy
05-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

With the crop factor you have a short tele field of view - the pool means that the action will be confined to quite a tight space so in fact with ISO at 800 and a stopped down lens you needn't worry about re-focussing very much and the results are pretty good as you have demonstrated. SR is a big help of course - Interesting to see the magenta cast coming out in the reflections in 1 and 3 - that happens in similar situations with my older lenses. I think you have done very well given your resources.
05-19-2007, 03:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Freddy and Arjay. I did prefocus a lot and the DOF is enough even when using f2.8. Interesting is that there was a lot of noise in the red channel and almost nothing in the blue and red channel.
Because a tight money situation I still shot with an old DL so no SR for me. What I really like is that even when you think it is hopeless you can get some nice photos.
Thanks for taking the time and commenting on my shots.

Cheers

Eddie