Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K-7 with FA*85 F1.4
Posted By: xGene, 08-26-2009, 02:38 PM

I thought I'd share these with you guys, shot a few candids of my cute niece a few weeks ago (yes, I have permission to post them...).

Just a bit of cropping and sharpening, no exposure compensation. I think the skin tone is very good. I use my K-7 on "natural", this is where I get the best results (for my taste).

Feel free to comment, good or bad.

I will try to compare to the FA77mm on another occasion. I know this is a hot topic for some...

Gene

Attached Images

Views: 1,938
08-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lucky for you adding this to your excellent array of precious glassware...

I'm not sure these photos bring out what this lens can do.
#1 - she's in a shadow that blunts out detail - looks like it compensated quite well for that.
#2 - nice natural side window light, although it appears the image just isn't sharp enough.
#3 - on-camera flash has flattened out detail, though it looks like a razor sharp image with beautiful colours.
#4 - again looks soft but nice colours and textures coming out there.

Do show us your images from the 77 ltd in comparison...

Last edited by Ash; 08-26-2009 at 04:14 PM.
08-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm beginning to wonder about the K7 and FF glass. I know in my hands the DA ltd lenses gave better results than the FA ltds.
08-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

OT but join the toronto group if you're interested we do a meetups every so often

08-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I'm beginning to wonder about the K7 and FF glass. I know in my hands the DA ltd lenses gave better results than the FA ltds.
Can you be more specific?
08-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just got my k7 four days ago.
As an entusiast/amateur I tried only some normal/family images with my FF glass (FA24,31,50 and 77)

Then tried with DA lenses some other images (da300, da 18-250)

I'm not enjoying the images from k7 ... They seem washed out and low in contrast with the DA lenses. Seems also I have to +0.3 on it.

With the FF glasss I enjoy what came out (I shoot raw+ and use jpeg unless I need to work/correct on it then use raw), looks like my settings (bright) from already sold k20.

I'm looking for the same look I got with the k20 on "bright" settings + 1 contrast and 2 sharpness. On k7 it doesn't work for me.
Will try now the "natural" settings.

Have to adjust to this camera ....

Anyway, just a few impressions.

Last edited by netuser; 08-26-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: mistake
08-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am going over to visit my sons family and grandkids in a couple weeks. I haven't seen them for just over a year and the youngest was just born. I am so looking forward to seeing them and getting some good photos. I would love to have your FA* 85 but I do have the FA 31 and 77 so I'm good.
Not to compare but here is one shot of my granddaughter last year with the SMC Takumar 85 1.8. A very nice piece of glass but when shooting fast moving kids AF comes in handy.

I'm holding back on the K-7 for a little bit and waiting for the price to drop. I've seen some great results but a lot of negitive also like netuser above. I am sure as with anything there will be some QC issues and we cann't forget user error. I'm the worst when it comes the user error.

Thanks for posting. Looks like you both had fun.

08-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Can you be more specific?
The K7/77ltd combo in my hands tended to result in washed out images relative to other lenses. The 50-135* gave the best results followed by 43 and 31. It isn't clear how much Aperture is to blame (it didn't have official K7 support and was using K20 curves) but shooting the same scene with just lens changes gave different results. The 77 is magic on the K20d. It wasn't on the K7 at least in my hands.

NOTE: Not scientific. Just me shooting in crappy indoor light like I typically would.

43ltd crop

31ltd

31ltd crop

77ltd

77ltd crop
08-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
The K7/77ltd combo in my hands tended to result in washed out images relative to other lenses. The 50-135* gave the best results followed by 43 and 31. It isn't clear how much Aperture is to blame (it didn't have official K7 support and was using K20 curves) but shooting the same scene with just lens changes gave different results. The 77 is magic on the K20d. It wasn't on the K7 at least in my hands.

NOTE: Not scientific. Just me shooting in crappy indoor light like I typically would.

43ltd crop

31ltd

31ltd crop

77ltd

77ltd crop
Interesting indeed nostatic. I will definitely do some tests of my own during the week-end. Honnestly, I hope the 77ltd is a least on par with the FA*85 because this one is a pain to lug around... and I'm not getting any younger!
08-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

xGENE, do you mind sharing your k7 settings ?

I'm trying to adjust to one that I like ....