Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Stormy Perth - Australia
Posted By: goddo31, 08-27-2009, 06:49 AM

Hello,

I've been a member here since close to the start of the year, but have mainly been lurking around and reading

I live in the northern suburbs of Perth in Western Australia, and for the past few weeks we have had consistently bad weather. Storm, wind and rain.

So I took a few pics to try and get the feeling... comments are welcome as I'm basically a beginner

(click for larger pic)

Spotted some of the local wildlife taking a rest on the calm side of a breakwater

Finally managed to find some colour in an otherwise very grey environment

cheers,
Jason
Views: 2,652
08-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Very nice start, I love that first shot. You caught the light rays and the highlight reflection on the horizon perfectly.
08-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice ones.
Another fan of #1 - just brilliant.
Overall these are good, just a little on the dark and flat side - with some curves and levels adjustments, these'll all turn out bright and contrasty.
Well done.
08-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #4

WOW #1 is great! I like the birds, too.

08-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback
#1 is my favourite too, I was a bit lucky to capture the light conditions at the right moment.

Ash - thanks for the thoughts regarding flatness and level adjustment. I am even more of a beginner at PP but I'm learning. Lightroom is fun!

cheers
08-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Katie. #1 is really nice. I love everything about bird 1, and bird 2 is almost as good, but might benefit from a slightly different approach: maybe just closer cropping; the rock under bird draws my eye away from the bird a bit. Maybe the rock needs to be a little out of focus or cropped a bit. Just my unqualified comments, and I enjoyed them all- you should be very pleased with these results!
08-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #7

I agree with the other suggestions. I am not a photo editing pro myself and I love(more often than not) Picasa's one click fix. It always a delight when it adjusts my white balance. It's an 'ahhhh' moment. And has really helped my see when a photo is not balanced. Of course, my goal should be to do that in the camera!
08-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're a beginer than you either have beginers luck or natural talent. #1 is my favorite.

08-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thankyou all for the kind comments - and thanks for the C&C too.

Pentax XTC - thanks, I have been trying very hard to improve over the last few months. Sometimes I am lucky, more often that not I take average pics

Going to have a go at some portraits on the weekend... if they turn out ok I will post up!

cheers