Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Between A Rock And A Leafy Place
Posted By: Nowhere Matt, 08-30-2009, 08:18 AM

"What are words for, when no one listens anymore."
Just enjoy the images or this harbor seal gets it.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo     

Views: 1,807
08-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the watering can. Nice lines and textures.
08-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have to remember to save and post images not quite so compressed sometimes but I think everyone gets the idea regardless of what detail may be lost between the upload and resizings.
A few of you members a little closer to St. Louis might recognize the rock mass of the first image.
08-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Where is the rock one? Looks like a neat place to go.

08-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
Where is the rock one? Looks like a neat place to go.
You live in southeast Missouri? Just step out your house and you will probably be headed in the right direction. Some of that rock was quarried for use in St. Louis.
And then drive about an hour further and you could end up here as well.
Attached Images

08-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

We're down by Cape Girardeau. I'm not from here originally and between work and sleep, we rarely go any where.
08-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildnsyko Quote
We're down by Cape Girardeau. I'm not from here originally and between work and sleep, we rarely go any where.
We freshened up, took showers and slept in beds one night in Cape Girardeau before continuing our trip and camping at Washington State Park, stopping at this spot in Iron County; almost two hours north from you perhaps.
We had been there five years ago and now have children. Our recent vacation took us to Memphis, Tennessee, Cave City, Kentucky, and points in southeast Missouri camping in state parks along the way. Elephant Rocks State Park, Onondage Cave State Park, Washington State Park and lunch along The Meramac River. Maybe next year we will float it with the kids.
If you are an outdoor type, Elephant Rock, Johnson's Shut Ins, Taum Sauk Mountain, Onondaga Cave, Meramac Cave and a few others all would be within three hours drive for you. Plan your next weekend in a state park.

08-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice series Matt.
Looked like a great time.
Another fan of the rustic watering can shot.
Well done.
08-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
We freshened up, took showers and slept in beds one night in Cape Girardeau before continuing our trip and camping at Washington State Park, stopping at this spot in Iron County; almost two hours north from you perhaps.
We had been there five years ago and now have children. Our recent vacation took us to Memphis, Tennessee, Cave City, Kentucky, and points in southeast Missouri camping in state parks along the way. Elephant Rocks State Park, Onondage Cave State Park, Washington State Park and lunch along The Meramac River. Maybe next year we will float it with the kids.
If you are an outdoor type, Elephant Rock, Johnson's Shut Ins, Taum Sauk Mountain, Onondaga Cave, Meramac Cave and a few others all would be within three hours drive for you. Plan your next weekend in a state park.
So was that Elephant Rock? I've heard of it, but haven't been there. Shoot, I'd be happy even to go to the arch or the zoo one of these days.
08-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes the rock formations are from Elephant Rock State Park in Graniteville, Missouri. Much of the rocks and huge rock outcrop tors were created from eroded volcanic magma or uplifts that fractured.
The watering can and statue amongst the greenery were taken while visiting my wife's relatives just outside Harrison, Arkansas which was the first leg of our recent vacation.
The forest faux panoramic was while camping in Mammoth Cave Campground and the interior cave shot was our return camping stop at Onondaga Cave in DeSoto, Missouri.
That vacation took us 1,700 miles over eight days stopping in Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri. About 700 images brought back and quickly dwindled down to about 400 for our family to share and cherish.
08-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I looked Elephant Rocks up on mapquest and we are 2hrs 15min east from it. Looks like a cool place to check out. We had gone to a place called Stone Mountain in NC about 3 years ago and it kind of reminds me of that.