Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A View of St. Pauls.
Posted By: paulyrichard, 08-30-2009, 12:33 PM

In Cheapside London, no buildin' is allowed to exceed or eclipse the height of St. Pauls, and therefore obstruct the view of it. So, this is my take on St. Pauls.
By the way, I forgot to mention that this shot was taken with a different camera, my apologies.
The moderators can delete if they wish so.

Slightly St. Pauls

Last edited by paulyrichard; 09-01-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Views: 3,231
08-31-2009, 07:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It can be very expensive to do it perfectly right. I think there are other people on here who know much more than me, but if you do a search for 'monitor calibration' there'll be sites that can help you with it free jus' by tunin' your monitor with a display of tones on their web page.

08-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulyrichard Quote
It can be very expensive to do it perfectly right. I think there are other people on here who know much more than me, but if you do a search for 'monitor calibration' there'll be sites that can help you with it free jus' by tunin' your monitor with a display of tones on their web page.
Thanks Pauly, I went to a site called "Photo Friday" and they have a calibration chart that allows you to calibrate your monitor, checked mine against that chart and it looks pretty good.
08-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did you need to calibrate it in a big way or not?
08-31-2009, 09:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulyrichard Quote
Did you need to calibrate it in a big way or not?
Not so much, I tweaked the contrast just a small amount but I had good whites and blacks and could see all of the gradients in between, I didn't have to tweak the brightness at all. I think the biggest problem that I have is my printer doesn't have the capability to use various gray inks as some of the printers do. I also have an HP Photosmart C-4280 all in one and there may be gray cartridges available for it.

08-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Late to this thread with little new to add other than I really like this image. Well done.

Tom G
09-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #21
JMR
Veteran Member

Excellent juxtaposition. And I really like what appears to be a kind of dappled variagated light.
Is this a split tone image? Would mind explaining how this is done? I do not have Photo Shop, but its smaller version Elements.

JMR
09-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tom, thanks JMR.

JMR, this is a straight B&W image, no split-tonin' in this. The light is all natural too.
I use Lightroom for my processin' and all I did here was convert it to B&W and I tweaked the sky to darken it a little usin' the blue channel, it didn't need much. Cheers.

09-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #23

Was this shot retaken with a Pentax camera, or is it from your Ricoh GX200 P&S as stated here.