Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First portrait attempts
Posted By: goddo31, 08-31-2009, 06:42 AM

Hello,

I treated myself (and my K200D) to a new AF360FGZ flash on the weekend.
Had a little bit of time to try out some portraits with my girlfriend before going to a formal dinner.

Please let me know what you think... I am a bit nervous with posting but am happy with the results!

All done with kit lens, played with the tone curve and added a soften effect in PP.

cheers,
Jason
Views: 1,532
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I think they're nice! Regarding composition it's all a matter of taste.

nr1: I would have done a closer one on the face and shoulders OR a bigger one with more chest, from the belly maybe, getting more arms. This one is kinda i the middle. There could be some more colour there, not saturation, but a litle more vibrant. She has a good hair color for PP. Remember.....its all about what feels right to your eyes.

nr2: Good one

Dont be afraid to post!!!

All the best / Mikael
08-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G;day Jason.
That's what this forum's about.
Posting for critique and sharpening your skills.
Speaking of sharp, that's what these portraits are... and that's a plus.

Mikael's commented on composition and PP, but I'll mention lighting a little as it's my keen interest area for developing skills.

The flash has done OK to light up her face throughout and not produce any harsh shadowing. To me, it's a little flat, though - too evenly spread and not much texture detail can be appreciated. This could possibly be worked around if the direction of the light was less front on. Off-camera setups work best with this and fortunately your flash unit can do this, but as it lacks the swivel head, it may be technically difficult.

Nevertheless, if you want to see good examples of such portraits with directional light and lots of texture detail for comparison, have a look at the photos posted up by devisor, another member on this forum. He basically gets his results with off-camera flash, albeit a little more sophisticated than just a flash off camera, but the concept is doable.
08-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments

I will definately play with off camera flash when I can, I'm looking forward to it! We were in quite a rush for these - I hadn't worked out how to use the flash wirelessly as yet.

I'm quite a big fan of photos by devisor, his are simply amazing. Something to tentatively aim for.

cheers,

09-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Second shot is really good. First one, the light is not so good. Maybe not right WB. She also seems more at ease in the second shot.
Here are some tips from Ben :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/68595-shooting-d-butante-...ttle-tips.html
09-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jonson.
The second shot was a lot more 'candid'.

Thanks for the link - I really like Ben's work also and there are some great tips in there. Will try some more soon.

cheers
09-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's all about getting started. these are good but I think you will see a vast improvement once you learn the flash and get it off camera.

Keep posting, the group here is great to work with and they help a lot in all aspects of photography.

Trust me I have put up some terrible photos and always had positive CC.