Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Abiquiu Lake on a Saturday Afternoon
Posted By: deadwolfbones, 09-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Took most of my kit out to the lake this past Saturday, but mostly ended up using the 40mm Ltd., Simga 10-20mm, and Sigma 17-70mm.

Decided I'd not worry too much about realism and really let the colors sing:

Views: 1,379
09-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are positively stunning images

They make me feel a bit better about flooding 2000 acres of Ghost Ranch. Georgia O'Keefe and Ansel Adams disliked the idea of the Corps of Engineers creating this impoundment.

My daughter learned landscape phototgraphy at Ghost Ranch and we visited several times in the early 2000's, but we could never make ourselves go to the lake.
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
First of all, thanks.

Living out here, the lake is basically the only game in town for swimming/boating, and I really appreciate that, coming as I do from Florida. In fact, my trip out there this weekend was the first time I've been swimming in more than two years. It's really a beautiful lake, and a great place to spend the day.

Ghost Ranch is of course beautiful as well, and I'm sure the land was gorgeous before it was flooded. Overall, in this case I think the flooding has done more good than harm. But that's just one uninformed guy's subjective opinion.
09-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Absolutely stunning photos, deadwolfbones. I especially like #2, and #4.

09-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
First of all, thanks.

Living out here, the lake is basically the only game in town for swimming/boating, and I really appreciate that, coming as I do from Florida. In fact, my trip out there this weekend was the first time I've been swimming in more than two years. It's really a beautiful lake, and a great place to spend the day.

Ghost Ranch is of course beautiful as well, and I'm sure the land was gorgeous before it was flooded. Overall, in this case I think the flooding has done more good than harm. But that's just one uninformed guy's subjective opinion.
Well, like I said, the pictures go a long way to bringing me around to your view of things. I can't deny the recreational value once the water is there, but what of what is lost?

Some history.

Part of my wife's family land in SW Colorado near the Black Canyon of the Gunnison was taken by the government and flooded in the 60's to make Blue Mesa Reservoir. A great deal of railroad history is under water forever. I know a number of people who have had the same done to them in Missouri.

In the 80's I was a "Mobster" and activist who helped stop an entirely unnecessary dam on the Meramec River in Missouri - would have taken 425 small family farms with scant compensation and destroyed one of the few remaining native Brown Trout populations in the country, as well as numerous natural landforms unique to Missouri's Karst limestone bedrock.

There's something about moving water that makes the shoreline real estate people drool.

And I'm a Republican! I should be FOR all this - but conservative means conserve.

OK. Step AWAY from the soapbox. Nice pictures and I'm happy you had a nice weekend!!
09-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has the polarised-filter look about them.
More is more for me (taken unashamedly from Keitha), so these are great results.
And will be great memories for you to reminisce about...
09-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In fact, I was using a CPL on the 10-20mm and 17-70mm lenses. Took a lot of LR work to bring out the detail they captured, though.

09-02-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really enjoyed the 2nd pic... the vast expanse of sky and earth, wonderful...
09-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Colors do indeed pop wonderful job #2 is my fav.
09-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Beautiful series, my favourite is the 4th shot. Love the colours.