Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first wedding EVER!!! Yikes!!!!
Posted By: creoleart, 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Okay for those of you who had warned me not to do this, I don't want to hear any "I told you so"!!!! Because I am definitely not quite ready for this!!!
But because I advertised my service at a very small fee people kept calling me!!!
Unfortunately I have 4 more as main photographer after this!! I don't know what I was thinking!! I need to be second shooting, I just hope that this will open some doors to some assisting jobs because i feel there is so much I still don't know. I made so many mistakes! I am lucky that the bride was VERY easy to please and loved her photos!!
So here is a sample set from the noob on the block!!!! Go easy guys!

Views: 2,586
09-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you haven't done too badly there Sandrine.
#1 is a little impersonal with them facing away and #3 is out of focus and not the most flattering look, but otherwise the photos have come out well.
You've got the technical know-how and useful PP skills, though there's always room for improvement.
#10 in full colour is better than #7's version IMO.
Well done overall.
09-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You suck.....I would quit now and try shooting flowers or bugs. lol

Seriously, I'd say you did very well, especially considering this is your first. I may have to stop calling you Bridezilla after this (inside joke).

Since they're numbered, I'll critique what I can. Take it with a huge grain of salt (I mean that rock salt they use on roads in the winter).

1 - Nice warmup shot. Not much going on here. Dress is blown, but skin detail is good. I'd probably crop/burn that light object above their heads.

2 - Very nice capture; perfect timing; love the DOF here.

3 - Nice moment. She's either blurry or you softened it quite a bit.

4,5 - I figure this is your comfort zone.

6,7 - Nice shot, but lose the selective coloring....it's so 80's. Unless she asked for it specifically, I'd either leave them on color or convert them all the way.

8,9 - Good shots. Would like to see a close-up of the rings

10 is much better than 7

11 - Don't like the processing. They look like wax figures. Did you go heavy on the NR in PP? I'd also lose the frame.

12, 14 - These look blown, but not in a good way. Looks like NR is bing used to soften skin as above. I'd lose the frame here too.

Remember that your in a totally different part of the country from where I am and the selective coloring and frames may be something that sells really well there. You have to do whatever it is that works for your clients while still injecting your style.

13 - I can see some haloing along his right side from the dodging/burning

15-18 - All nice environment shots
09-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks like Ash and I saw some of the same things...

09-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager

But Alan's advice is better!
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you guys!! I so appreciate constructive criticism!!!
Alan I am afraid there is a lot more "bridezillaness" coming up for me in the very near future!!!! But at least now I know what I have done wrong and hopefully will be able to correct it!

Now whenever I edit like kind of funky, like 6 and 7 I always give them the colored copy. Same with the frames, I usually give them the photo without them too, just in case. Some do like them, some not so much. But here are the photos in color:

They actually do look better than the BW + color!!

I have "wax figures" stuck in my head now!! lol!! Can you tell me if this is slightly better?

Oh and the mother of the bride is definitely out of focus!!!!
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sometimes catching a special moment (like a mother's tears of joy) is more important than the technical aspect of the photo. It's easy for us as photographers to get caught up in sharpness, focus, DOF, etc., but you capturing that moment is what the bride will cherish.
09-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Sometimes catching a special moment (like a mother's tears of joy) is more important than the technical aspect of the photo. It's easy for us as photographers to get caught up in sharpness, focus, DOF, etc., but you capturing that moment is what the bride will cherish.
My sentiments exactly!! Thank you!

09-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #9

truth. still I think you did a great job for your first time out. Not like I'm a pro or anything, but it seems like you got some great shots.
09-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Looks really good to me.
09-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #11

you did very well for a newbie.....and knowing that you have more inquiries coming also..well i suggest that you continue doing it as long as you are enjoying it...you will get better as more clients come and that is better than a being a pro and no inquiries are coming.
09-03-2009, 02:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I personally like all the photos's and in fact if this had been the quality of photo's for my wedding I would have been stoked and referred your work

ciao

Dylan
09-03-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

some blown highlights.. but anyway the quality is werry good. I like your artistic sence. Big thumbs up for you
09-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #14
Inactive Account

These look great Sandrine! You're off to a great start

As mentioned above there are a few technical aspects that could be improved for next time (some blown highlights, selective colouring that has bled beyond what you wanted coloured i.e. flower stems on #7), but the overall feel and captures are there.

Glad to hear it went well and that you survived!

c[_]
09-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

hey there, i see you got totally chewed up on Fred