Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bug (hemiptera?)
Posted By: Douglas_of_Sweden, 09-03-2009, 06:43 AM

Shot with the DFA100mm macro, FGZ540 and K20D.

Views: 1,584
09-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tack sharp and colourful.
The only bit that's a let down is the lighting.
A little dull in the first, and in the second the other bugs just behind are a little distracting, but I still like 'em both.
09-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Tack sharp and colourful.
The only bit that's a let down is the lighting.
A little dull in the first, and in the second the other bugs just behind are a little distracting, but I still like 'em both.
I was actually more happy with the light in the first one, though I could take up the contrast a bit. In the second I have too much "metalic" flare in both the bug and the flower, which is so easy to get with flash in macro. Trying to learn how to avoid it.

Will try to increase the contrast on #1, think that is worth doing since I'm happy with the composition and colorscheme. Anyway, the bugs are still sitting together on the same flower, so as soon as the wind calms down a bit (some 10 m/s here I think) I will be back there.
09-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Beautiful shots, wonderful detail in these.

09-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #5
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Beautiful shots, wonderful detail in these.
Thanks Scott!
The DFA100 macro must have one hell of a resolution. I'm soon gona post some pics with flies where it just show a scary amount of details on their more hairy parts. Just very hapy I got this lens.
09-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Cool insect. Isn't macro fun?!
09-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Cool insect. Isn't macro fun?!
It's very fun! There are whole universes at close distance if you just go down on your knees!

I feel that I am beginning to be sure enough about the technical part, controlling focus, DOF, exposure, to worry about composition, and color composition. That's why I'm happy with the first picture: bug well isolated against a free and lighter background, everything important in focus (especially the eye), OOF where it should be, well held together colorscheme (same green and red in both flower and bug). And this bug was moving (though not so fast).
But my attempts of shooting butterflies and dragonflies in the flight are still horrible! Beginning to grasp howerflies, bees and bumblebees which even though they move fast are predictable when looking for food.
09-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the shots, I agree on the second shot with the other bugs behind the subject being a little distractive.

I really enjoy macro, these kind of shots make me want to try harder and do more. I really need to start doing more reading on the subject.... Ok so that would limit my time here, probably won't happen soon. I will just keep gleaning information from you and others.

I shot a dragon fly the other night, early evening so I needed to go with a pair of flashes but it didn't mater where I put them or how much I defused them, I always caught the reflection, any suggestions?

John

09-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #9
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did visit the same bug again (still sitting on the same flower every sunny day, but it hides somewhere else in night and on rainy days):

09-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice sieres Macro is indeed so much fun - I like the second series better. Well done.
09-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice sieres Macro is indeed so much fun - I like the second series better. Well done.
Thanks! I had the flash separately in a cable, which I think gave better light.
09-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #12

Most definitely hemiptera (suborder homoptera), and a baby one at that.
09-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
Bad LBA case
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gerbilbox Quote
Most definitely hemiptera (suborder homoptera), and a baby one at that.
Are you sure? It was the biggest I found, the other brothers or sisters or whatever where all smaller. And now we got freezing degrees nighttime, so I supose it is end of season (end of life) for these bugs, and if it is still a baby, it was sort of pointless. Thought replication was the big thing for such creatures. Most bugs are pretty small around here, probably due to the long winter.
10-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Are you sure? It was the biggest I found, the other brothers or sisters or whatever where all smaller. And now we got freezing degrees nighttime, so I supose it is end of season (end of life) for these bugs, and if it is still a baby, it was sort of pointless. Thought replication was the big thing for such creatures. Most bugs are pretty small around here, probably due to the long winter.
It could be an adult. I assumed it was a baby because it had wing-pads instead of wings, since in insects that have wings, they only appear as wing-pads until they are adults. It is possible that this species never develop wings, so the wing-pads carry over into adulthood.
10-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The colour is simply amazing. I missed macro and yet done much at all.

Good photography!