Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Spring Runoff
Posted By: Mark Castleman, 05-19-2007, 10:24 PM

The water is now coming over the spillway at Barker Dam (near Nederland) and that means the flow in Boulder Creek has gone up considerably. Both of these were taken using a Cokin ND8 filter since I think that is one of the things (a polarizer being the other) that no imaging program can replicate well.

The remains of the Denver, Boulder & Western bridge across Boulder Creek.
1/10, f/16, ISO 100, 18mm

Rapids in Boulder Creek
1s, f/27, ISO 100, 33mm

Views: 1,801
05-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the second shot that is some fast moving water - makes me want to get on a Raft (althouhg it looks a little narrow and there are those big pointy things in the way) What lens ?
05-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I love contrast of the dark sky and the brightness of the leaves in the first one. The second pic is very powerful and would be perfect if that metal culvert were somehow elimated.
05-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Both photos were taken with the Pentax 18-55mm lens using a ND8 neutral density filter to let me lengthen the exposure. The culvert is indeed unfortunate but I really like how the water was splashing over the big rock (it's how we get little rocks) and it was just to big to be cropped out.

05-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool pics:-).
Those pointy things would indeed be a problem in a raft but I bet there are kayakers that would try it. But that rock on the right (river left) looks very nasty. I wouldn't try it. Do any kayakers (sp?) run that river in these conditions, Mark, or is there not enough water?
05-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both are great shots and I don't mind the culvert at all, this is the 21st century after all and all sorts of man made objects abound, it's color is not at all eye catching and the random shapes around it make it unobtrusive. It's not like it was bright yellow or something.

NaCl(tis very hard to find pristine conditions w/o having to walk miles and miles)H2O
05-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Both are great shots and I don't mind the culvert at all, this is the 21st century after all and all sorts of man made objects abound, it's color is not at all eye catching and the random shapes around it make it unobtrusive. It's not like it was bright yellow or something.

NaCl(tis very hard to find pristine conditions w/o having to walk miles and miles)H2O
I agree. I had to look pretty close to find the culvert, and it certainly wasn't distracting.
I don't have any neutral density filters, but would like to try one sometime to achieve these long exposure running water shots.

05-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mark,
that are two very nice photos especially the second one. While I don't mind the culvert at all ( it is reality) at the same time it is very easy to remove. I took the liberty, hope that you don't mind, and did a very quick and dirty on it. I'll remove the file in a few days, OK?

Take care, Heinrich

05-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Cool pics:-).
Those pointy things would indeed be a problem in a raft but I bet there are kayakers that would try it. But that rock on the right (river left) looks very nasty. I wouldn't try it. Do any kayakers (sp?) run that river in these conditions, Mark, or is there not enough water?
You rarely see kayaks this far up the canyon. There is a kayak course at the bottom of the canyon leading into town where the water is about 6 feet deep.

The water flow was 137 cubic feet per minute on Friday, now with the water coming over the dam it is expected to peak at around 350. That's a lot of water flowing over very hard, pointy rocks.