Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some self-developed ones
Posted By: Maffer, 09-05-2009, 10:56 AM

So, bought some rolls of Kodak Ektar 100 and managed to self-develop 'em in the darkroom of a local camera club. Was a BIT of hassle at first and not everything went by the book...but in the end I got something worth scanning. What an experience it was. I'll never forget it - to finally see something popping up on the negatives Final scans resulted in ~12MP files with lotsa details.

Few photos to show. No alterations except minor cropping and some spot healing tool usage. Ektar seems to have strong contrast and very lively colors!

Views: 1,680
09-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! Can I send my Ektar to you for processing? Those are beautiful!

Steve
09-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Steve! Well, I just followed a guide booklet which had very clear instructions what chems to use, the order of usage and timing instructions. Actually the most tricky bit was to get the film in the spiral-holder in total darkness. I guess I was just lucky to get something usefull out of the process during the first attempt. Not all of the frames were like these...
09-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, man, the spiral holders. I developed four rolls of Tri-X in the same tank. I wasn't very experienced and had a lot of problems, so I probably spent an hour and a half getting the film in the tank.

09-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
Oh, man, the spiral holders. I developed four rolls of Tri-X in the same tank. I wasn't very experienced and had a lot of problems, so I probably spent an hour and a half getting the film in the tank.
Tell me about it! I'm sure the people waiting outside the room heard some foul words thru the door...
09-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Luckily, our dark room doesn't have that much use, so at least I wasn't bothering anyone. I also learned to be smart about it, so it's been a lot easier since. Nice shots, BTW. I really like the geometric look of the first one.
09-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Thanks Steve! Well, I just followed a guide booklet which had very clear instructions what chems to use, the order of usage and timing instructions. Actually the most tricky bit was to get the film in the spiral-holder in total darkness. I guess I was just lucky to get something usefull out of the process during the first attempt. Not all of the frames were like these...
I did my first roll of B&W when I was about 13. I was lucky to have a friend of the family to guide me through the process. He gave me a stainless reel along with a quality stainless tank and a "dummy" roll of 35mm film to practice with. I spent many hours on the living room couch with my eyes closed rolling that film onto the reel.

Even with all the practice, the first time was full of surprises. I did not have a 35mm camera and was using Verichrome in 126 cartridges (yes, Instamatic film). The film is the same width as 35mm, but had a paper backing like roll film. The tricky part was breaking open the cartridge without having the film fall out onto the floor. There was also all this curly paper hanging around!

Steve