Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Learning to zoom with my feet (10 imgs)
Posted By: skinja, 09-05-2009, 09:00 PM

Decided this morning that I did not spend near enough time with my primes, so I loaded my bag with my 31, 50, 70, lens baby and my 200. (Grant I'm sad that I'm sending this on it's way Tuesday, it will be tough to give it up) well I did take one zoom with the 10-20 but it never made it on my camera. OK so I went out with the 31 on K10 and the 200 on the K20. It was a pretty gloomy day but that worked out OK, just went black and white on most.

Here is some of my favorites from the day, hope you enjoy.

CC always welcome and I appreciate it. If you don't like it keep it to your self...... not really I want to know that to.

Thanks for your time.

John
Views: 1,996
09-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like all the B&W's John. Not sure about the rest. cheers. JIM
09-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

These are coll. We are going to have fun.
09-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Aye, "zoom feet" is a wonderful thing, I use mine all the time.

I guess I have to, as I own no zooms.

09-06-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series John - looks like a glommy day indeed. That last one belong in a Tim Burton movie.
09-06-2009, 05:34 AM   #6

As much as I like the 4th one, my browser keeps going up to #3. What a marvelous shot! The angle, texture of the wood, the sky, and the landing seagull (I presume) finishes it all off.

Great shots! Looks like fun!

RD
09-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
3 is superb, and 8 is soo good in color!

Great job.
09-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Seems you had a great day.
I'm also a fan of B&W images.

09-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good stuff, John. I really dig the fourth one.

Jer
09-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I like all the B&W's John. Not sure about the rest. cheers. JIM
Thanks Jim.

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
These are coll. We are going to have fun.
Thanks, Look forward to meeting up

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Aye, "zoom feet" is a wonderful thing, I use mine all the time.

I guess I have to, as I own no zooms.
I really like my zooms and it's just easier to throw one on, using the prime lens does add a challenge to get your framing right and when you do get it right the feeling is great.

I appreciate the comments.
09-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series John - looks like a glommy day indeed. That last one belong in a Tim Burton movie.
The texture in the drift wood was incredible and I like a little abstract once and awhile.

Thanks Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by SCguy Quote
As much as I like the 4th one, my browser keeps going up to #3. What a marvelous shot! The angle, texture of the wood, the sky, and the landing seagull (I presume) finishes it all off.

Great shots! Looks like fun!

RD
Thank you.
It was a good day. Mostly cloudy, with a glimpse of the sun every once and awhile a little windy.

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
3 is superb, and 8 is soo good in color!

Great job.
Thanks for the kind comments, it was a real treat to just use the primes. I will do it more often.
09-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Seems you had a great day.
I'm also a fan of B&W images.
Besides being a prime only day, I really have not played with black and whites as much as I should, I will be doing more of this also.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Good stuff, John. I really dig the fourth one.

Jer
Thanks Jer, Your comments are always appreciated.
09-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I like the seagull landing/wood texture shot, nice leading lines and use of DOF to emphasize the texture on the wood. Only critique there would be lack of a "main" subject. Your leading lines and chosen composition lead my eyes over to the left side of the frame, but there is (relatively) nothing there for my eyes to rest on, so I end up coming back to the light on the right side, which is not emphasized to be the "Big Show."

I like the "Crab Buyer" shot because of the angry-looking sky. Nice choice in exposure to emphasize that. I would have liked to have seen just a touch more water to balance the bottom edge of the frame with the brighter upper portions of the frame, rather than cutting off the pier in a spot that feels odd to me and leaves the bottom dark.

The last wood texture shot is also nicely composed, and had a good choice of exposure. No critique there.

The rest feel fairly snap-shot-like. For instance, the fishing action shot covers the child's face with the gear. Another perspective could have shown the concentration inherent in such a task, or perhaps another moment to capture?

I hope my comments/critiques come off as being helpful as I find it helpful to assess and really look at other folks work when I write something up like this as well as receive feedback like this.

Nice work overall, especially the tones in the b&w work.
09-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, this is totally appropriate and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond in this manor. I think every thing you have mentioned is a fair statement. Please feel free to respond on anything I post.

I really appreciate the CC and with the information you have provided will give me food for thought every time I go out to capture.

Thank you for your time.

John

QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
I like the seagull landing/wood texture shot, nice leading lines and use of DOF to emphasize the texture on the wood. Only critique there would be lack of a "main" subject. Your leading lines and chosen composition lead my eyes over to the left side of the frame, but there is (relatively) nothing there for my eyes to rest on, so I end up coming back to the light on the right side, which is not emphasized to be the "Big Show."

I like the "Crab Buyer" shot because of the angry-looking sky. Nice choice in exposure to emphasize that. I would have liked to have seen just a touch more water to balance the bottom edge of the frame with the brighter upper portions of the frame, rather than cutting off the pier in a spot that feels odd to me and leaves the bottom dark.

The last wood texture shot is also nicely composed, and had a good choice of exposure. No critique there.

The rest feel fairly snap-shot-like. For instance, the fishing action shot covers the child's face with the gear. Another perspective could have shown the concentration inherent in such a task, or perhaps another moment to capture?

I hope my comments/critiques come off as being helpful as I find it helpful to assess and really look at other folks work when I write something up like this as well as receive feedback like this.

Nice work overall, especially the tones in the b&w work.